walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben More and Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

Ben More and Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

Postby SteveCass » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:27 pm

With some good weather forecast over the next week I was considering doing Ben More and Stob Binnein. Interested to hear what people's thoughts are on doing them from the Inverlochlarig side. Is it worth it/not worth it, easier/harder, more of a slog/less of a slog as opposed to the Crianlarich side? I'm assuming it'll be quieter which appeals to me but would be good to hear other opinions. I've read a few walk reports from the Inverlochlarig side but they were a few years old, would be good to get some recent experiences.

Thanks.
SteveCass
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

Postby snowen » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:32 pm

I went up Stob Binnien and Ben More from Inverlochlarig a few years ago, so maybe not recent enough, then from Benmore farm last year. Of the two, I much prefer from Inverlochlarig. From the Crianlarich side it's a steep unrelenting slog whereas from Inverlochlarig it's a good ridge walk along to Stob Binnien.

I came back by Inverlochlarig Glen but you could go back over Stob Binnien if you didn't fancy the longer walk out.
snowen
Munro compleatist

Munros:178   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:40+15
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:7

Postby SteveCass » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:10 pm

snowen wrote:I went up Stob Binnien and Ben More from Inverlochlarig a few years ago, so maybe not recent enough, then from Benmore farm last year. Of the two, I much prefer from Inverlochlarig. From the Crianlarich side it's a steep unrelenting slog whereas from Inverlochlarig it's a good ridge walk along to Stob Binnien.

I came back by Inverlochlarig Glen but you could go back over Stob Binnien if you didn't fancy the longer walk out.

Thanks for this, I appreciate your input. I know how steep it looks from the Crianlarich side, every time I pass it puts me off a bit. I'm glad to hear it's much nicer from the other side. I was thinking about coming back by Inverlochlarig Glen as well.
SteveCass
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Steve B » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:36 pm

I did that route a few years back. It made a good circuit, you get to a track eventually in the glen on the return.
Never been up from the other side as it looks like a slog.
It is a nice route to the start of the walk past Loch Voil etc too, drop in to Rob Roy's grave on the way home.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:01 pm

Another vote for the Inverlochlairig approach from me, though worth noting that the parking is fairly limited.

A third option is to go up the NE ridge of Ben More from Coirecaorach in Glen Dochart, and continue round over Stob Binnein and Meall na Dige, though this is longer and has a fair bit of pathless terrain. (For anyone thinking of doing this, the access route through the forestry has changed recently due to felling and hydro installation).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby katyhills » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:03 pm

I've done them the conventional way from the Ben More side, but I'd wanted to do the ridge on Binnein for a while, so I did it a couple of years ago. Much nicer walk from Inverlochlarig. The first section is unrelentingly steep, but it's a great walk along that ridge. :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Veryhappybunny » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:46 pm

I have only done this from the Inverlochlarig side - agreed it is a grand walk once you get up high. I found it a bit of a slog coming back down the glen, but it was a few years ago, so there may be a better path now.

I chose the route so I could go and have a cuppa and nibble (scone/shortbread) afterwards at the Monachyle Mhor hotel, which was very nice too.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby WeeHills » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:44 am

I've done it both ways and like others would recommend the Inverlochlarig approach. It is a fine ridge walk and while the slog up is a bit relentless it's certainly no worse than the Ben More alternative. Not a big car park at Inverlochlarig though, early arrival is advised.
WeeHills

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:47 pm

Also done them from both directions and without doubt the ascent from Inverlochlarig is much better. Also a good start point for a couple of the hills to the west using bikes.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby prog99 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:41 pm

Been up these multiple times and the ne ridge approach is by far and away the best.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion