walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Avoiding Arrochar parking charges

Avoiding Arrochar parking charges

Postby paulG2 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Has anyone got any ideas on alternative car parking around the arrochar area ? I’ve been paying £9 a day and can’t afford it anymore.
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:152   Corbetts:23
Donalds:8

Re: Avoiding Arrochar parking charges

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:09 pm

I think you can still park for free at Ardgartan, and use the Cowal Way track to access The Cobbler/Beinn Narnain.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:98
Grahams:81   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:46   

Postby paulG2 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:10 pm

jmarkb wrote:I think you can still park for free at Ardgartan, and use the Cowal Way track to access The Cobbler/Beinn Narnain.

Great idea, I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:152   Corbetts:23
Donalds:8

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:59 am

You could also park at Butterbridge and access the hills from there.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby LordBrochFraser » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:09 am

jmarkb wrote:I think you can still park for free at Ardgartan, and use the Cowal Way track to access The Cobbler/Beinn Narnain.

Indeed, I use this approach regularly, adds about 5km of pleasant walking on good forest tracks to the day. There are also a couple of blocked entrances to the old Torpedo Range pier that can fit a few cars but these fill up early on busy days.
LordBrochFraser
Ambler

Munros:134   Corbetts:19
Grahams:8   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby WeeHills » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:48 am

There's also a small amount free parking to be had at the foot of Glen Croe, though I've a feeling that may be taken up by the workers trying to shore up the landslides right now. Also plenty of parking round Rest and Be Thankful which is free though more useful for some hills than others.
WeeHills

Postby duchally » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:00 am

I used the small parking area at Laigh Glencroe in Thursday 1st July for Beinn Ime & Beinn Narnain. The only other vehicle there at the beginning and end of the walk belonged to fencers who were working beside the path to Bealach a' Mhaim.
The next layby up the road towards Rest and be Thankful was closed off.
duchally

Munros:282   Corbetts:202
Grahams:143   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:207   

Postby LobeyD » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:You could also park at Butterbridge and access the hills from there.

Just be aware that the larger parking area after the bend at the bridge is now being used by the RnBT road crews. There is some space left just off the road (normal layby width) but there are some pretty large boulders piled high and a digger perched on top so perhaps not ideal. Laybys up the hill are still fine and were quiet yesterday.
LobeyD

Munros:208   Corbetts:62
Grahams:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:1   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:23 pm

I've often thought about heading up onto bealach a mhaim - between Ime and Narnain - from inveruglas, looks fairly straightforward, and not that much longer than the usual router up from arrochar.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Lournieloon » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:32 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:I've often thought about heading up onto bealach a mhaim - between Ime and Narnain - from inveruglas, looks fairly straightforward, and not that much longer than the usual router up from arrochar.

I did that route after doing Ben Vane to meet up with colleagues doing Narnain and Ime.
There is not a distinct route after the track peters out. It's quite a steep pull up to the Bealach. I eventually followed a fence line.
After waiting for them for some time we legged it up the Cobbler together. They gave me a run to inveruglas to pick up my car 🙂
Lournieloon
Mountaineer

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion