walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hello, looking for recommendations

Hello, looking for recommendations

Postby Mark8777 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:06 pm

Hello, me and a friend are planning on going camping with our children aged 6 and 9. My friend lives in fife and I stay in aberdeen... looking for camping spot recommendations somewhere up the coast or a bit inland... a beach spot would be perfect, or a loch with good walks around it? Sorry if this type of question is not welcome.
Mark8777
Wanderer

Re: Hello, looking for recommendations

Postby davekeiller » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:12 pm

Are we talking wild camping, or are you looking for an organised campsite?
Given the ages of the children, I'd suggest a campsite.

It would be helpful if you could narrow your search area from "somewhere up the coast".
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Tringa » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:39 am

I can't recommend any campsites as it is not an area I know but as you have probably seen online there are a few to choose from.

For walks a good place to look is the Walks section on here. Lots of walks ranging from very gentle strolls to mountain ascents, all with descriptions, maps and photos.

Dave
Tringa

Postby DopeyLoser » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:11 pm

Reading your question, Moray coast comes to mind. Google Moray camping. For walks see https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/moray/
DopeyLoser

Postby tigerburnie » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:42 pm

Everywhere seems to be mobbed at the moment, chaos at Lunan Bay today, I would look for somewhere well away from the coast and the crowds, or go to a rocky bit of the shore line north of Montrose.
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

Postby davekeiller » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:15 pm

One thing to bear in mind is that midges generally breed in or near water. A nice, sheltered spot next to a loch will be midge central!
The coast probably isn't as bad, but if you're near water then a stiff breeze is your friend!
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion