walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Devils point from Linn of Dee

Devils point from Linn of Dee

Postby Avocetboy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:22 pm

Hi. Looking to do the Devils Point from Linn of Dee. Using bikes, are we better off cycling via Derry lodge or via White Bridge? And, how far can we get on bikes? Corrour Bothy?

Thanks in advance
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Re: Devils point from Linn of Dee

Postby prog99 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:42 pm

Derry Lodge every time. The white bridge approach is not great despite the path.
I’d not bother cycling further than luibeg although that’s not to say it’s not possible.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:34 pm

Yes, via Derry Lodge for me, it's better cycling and a quicker finer approach, cycling up to the Luibeg burn as already suggested. Its a while since I've been there, but there was one short lived boggy section after crossing the Derry Burn then it improves again. I find it to be a great cycle back out to the car park from Luibeg.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:48 pm

Yeah Derry Lodge is a far more pleasant cycle. The boggy section after the luibeg is short and fairly tedious with a bike, but you could easily cycle another mile of so on a slightly rougher track.

Whitebridge is fine until the bridge then rougher sort of singletrack for a mile and a half or so after. We cycled that when doing Beinn Bhrotain and Monadh Mor from Glen Dee (an utterly terrible idea. Just don't).

The return journey from Derry Lodge is also much more fun with only a couple of dead easy climbs and loads of freewheeling.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby rgf101 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:55 am

I've walked between White Bridge and Corrour a few times, and always enjoy it. The cyclists I've met always seem to be enjoying it much less. Especially one couple who had heavy electric mountain bikes, and no power left in their batteries.
rgf101

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:58 pm

Many thanks for all your replies, Derry Lodge it is!!!
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby al78 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:07 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Whitebridge is fine until the bridge then rougher sort of singletrack for a mile and a half or so after. We cycled that when doing Beinn Bhrotain and Monadh Mor from Glen Dee (an utterly terrible idea. Just don't).

Interesting you say that because Cameron Mcneish in his Munros book gives that route in his Southern Cairngorms chapter. It looks to be a largely pathless route. Is it bogginess or knee deep relentless heather bashing that make it unpleasant?

It looks to me from the OS map that a wild camp at Loch nan Stuirteag would be ideal for bagging those two on one day and Devils point around to Braeriach the following day.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby prog99 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:53 pm

The path to the north of the Dee is mostly a work of fiction on the map and out of spite occasionally pretends to be good. The south side is okish but on a bike it’s splitting hairs to see how far you can get if just doing Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain.

Loch Nan Stuirteag is a pleasant spot.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion