walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dissing the Cairnwell

Dissing the Cairnwell

Postby tigerburnie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:22 am

My son and I went up to Glen Shee last weekend, he now lives in Essex due to work, so hills are in short supply) and due to injury and covid it's 2 years since I last topped a Munroe, so the Cairnwell was chosen to get both of us a fix. We went up Carn Aosda first turning right at the middle, I wanted to check out the loch with a view to fishing there in a month or so time, then across to the Cairnwell. Now I get that when you look towards this hill the view is somewhat spoilt by the metal work and looking down towards the ski lifts is also lacking when there's no snow, but why the disdain for these hills mystifies me. The views are superb when you are up there(when the low cloud allows one), we didn't do the "3" as the low cloud stole the views, save that and others for another day. So a septuagenarians opinion is it might be easier, but don't take away the fact that these are hills worth the climb and the view if somewhat selective can be rewarding.
BM1K2637.jpg
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

Re: Dissing the Cairnwell

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:03 pm

I find it hard to be inspired by the summit of The Cairnwell, but a lot of the rest of the round is good walking. If doing all 3, then a slightly longer but more satisfying route is to start at Baddoch and go up the very pleasant N ridge of Carn Aosda - the ski area is hidden until you reach the summit.

If you are doing Carn a' Gheoidh on its own, then a short circuit from Rhiedorrach over Carn nan Sac is a good option. For a longer day, starting at Spittal and doing Ben Gulabin, Carn a' Gheoidh, Carn Bhinnein. and back via Glen Taitneach is also worthwhile.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:46 pm

I've done the walk to Càrn a'Ghèoidh from Glenshee twice, so I must have enjoyed it. (It is hardly a local walk for me: I live 400 miles away).

It is good once you are beyond the ski developments and can see Loch Vrotachan, then further on there are the two lochans on Càrn na Sac (and its summit is a grand viewpoint). It's maybe even more enjoyable because you've just left behind the Lowry landscape of the ski machinery.

Further on, if I have time one day I will walk on to the top of Càrn Bhinnein which is a fine-shaped hill. Or, Gleann Taitneach might provide a good approach.

It is a shame that the developments have affected not just the head of Glen Shee but the summit of the Cairnwell too: it is a fine-looking hill when seen from the glen just above Spittal of Glenshee.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:03 pm

Adding Carn Bhinnein (Munro top) to the Cairnwell Munros makes a big difference. It's similar in shape and prominence to the Cairnwell when seen from the south and doesn't have all the masts etc on it.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby tigerburnie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:19 pm

Nice to hear your thoughts, my next trip will probably be with a fishing rod, so Carn a' Gheoidh may well be done at the same time, depends if I go on my own or have company again.
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:54 pm

We took the jmarkb route up with the third child of an American colleague. We did Càrn a'Ghèoidh first and then walked across to the Cairnwell, then walked back down the ridge of Carn Aosda back to the bottom. It made a satisfying round, and more important for her, made her one up on her older brother (Dreish and Mayar) and TWO up on her oldest brother Image
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion