walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hello. Looking for Ideas of Solitude

How busy is the Highlands this year

Poll ended at Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:55 pm

Stupidly Busy too many people
26%
Quite busy but can find quiet areas
56%
No different to Summer Season
19%
Where has everyone Gone
No votes

Total votes : 27

Hello. Looking for Ideas of Solitude

Postby scottferg2000 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi All

My family bought a Motorhome 5 yrs ago and i have been trying to convince them to go up to the Highlands ever since ( we have scottish ancestors and we are travelling up from Kent England which is quite a distance ) .

Finally we are going for it but i have heard that everyone has decided to visit this beautiful place this year. What i'm after is to leave the crowds and find some solitude. We are staying at Glen Nevis campsite by Fort William. I dont mind driving an hour or two so can anyone recommend some moderate level walks with nice views to ease my family into this amazing place but away from the crowds.

Thanks All for any help you can give. :)

Also if you dont mind i have added a poll to see how busy the Highlands are at the moment. Thanks all again and keep safe.
scottferg2000
Ambler

Re: Hello. Looking for Ideas of Solitude

Postby njdunn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:32 am

Wherever you go for a walk, start early as car parks are filling up fast. If you're prepared to be out and walking at 7am you'll have the hills almost to yourself at first. I'd say most of the tourists are just looking and doing short walks so as soon as you get properly into the hills you'll find it quieter.
njdunn
Stravaiging

Munros:60   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:6   

Postby rgf101 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:18 am

You could walk up Glen Nevis - look for the Steall Falls walk
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/steallfalls.shtml

If I remember correctly, the short walk described there is a bit rough, but quite doable, then after Steall Falls it opens out and becomes flatter going - not necessarily much in the way of paths, but with all the dry weather should be fun going. I wouldn't imagine there's much traffic past Steall Falls.

Wait and see what others think of that though, I'm possibly misremembering the terrain.
rgf101

Postby Pastychomper » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:45 am

I don't know what it's like within two hours of Fort William, but here in the north it's only a bit busier than usual with NC500ers, and the less-known hills and their parking spots are still largely empty*. Also, you'll probably find that "busy" in the Highlands looks a lot different to "busy" in Kent.

It might be worth checking out the smaller hills and low-level walks on this site - just avoid the ones nearest the big tourist spots.

*Until another ten thousand frustrated holidaymakers read posts like this. :wink:
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby Tringa » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:52 am

Have a look at the walks section of this site.

All the walks show the distance and profile, and all have good descriptions including an assessment of difficulty, a map and photos so you can get an idea of what to expect.

There are loads of walks within an hour of Fort William.

NJDunn's point about starting early is spot on. Even without the effect of more folks staying in the UK as a result of COVID19 and early start gives you a much quieter time.

Dave
Tringa

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:54 am

Here's a few ideas that are unlikely to be crowded:

From Altnefeadh in Glen Coe, follow the West Highland Way to the top of the Devil's Staircase - optional extension is to turn left at the top and climb Stob Mhic Martuin. Car park likely to be busy, though.
Loch Lundie https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/loch-lundie.shtml - can extend this with a circuit round the loch
Coire Ardair https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/coire-ardair.shtml
At the end of Glen Roy, take the track towards Luib Chonnal bothy https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44273
Dun Da Lamh https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/dundalamh.shtml
From Callop (about 2km E of Glenfinnan) take the track along the shore of Loch Shiel
Peanmeanach https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/peanmeanach.shtml
Beinn Lora https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/beinn-lora.shtml
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby scottferg2000 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:14 pm

WOW Thank you All

Thats great advice and love the recommendations.

I cant wait we are really excited to see the views and sites the pictures look amazing but you cant beat being there for real. Our family have done a bit of walking in Snowdonia but have been told the Highlands are bigger better and greener really looking forward to it now just avoiding everyone at work so i dont get a Covid Ping LOL.

Do you mind me asking the Hotspots to avoid and swerve the crowds.
scottferg2000
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:02 pm

scottferg2000 wrote:Do you mind me asking the Hotspots to avoid and swerve the crowds.

Ben Nevis, Nevis Range gondola, Steall Falls, Lost Valley, Buachaille Etive Mor, Pap of Glencoe, Arisaig/Morar beaches, Glenfinnan.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby scottferg2000 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:53 pm

jmarkb wrote:
scottferg2000 wrote:Do you mind me asking the Hotspots to avoid and swerve the crowds.

Ben Nevis, Nevis Range gondola, Steall Falls, Lost Valley, Buachaille Etive Mor, Pap of Glencoe, Arisaig/Morar beaches, Glenfinnan.

Many many thanks much appreciated.
scottferg2000
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:23 pm

scottferg2000 wrote:Many many thanks much appreciated.

No problem - hope you have a great trip!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby davekeiller » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:29 pm

The areas to avoid are basically any places in popular guidebooks or those newspaper articles about the best places to go in Britain.
Often, you don't have to go far to get away from the crowds. For instance, Glenfinnan village will be busy with tourists wanting to take photos of the train on the Harry Potter bridge. Go a mile up the road and you can (and probably will) get the hill to yourself.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby davemorrissey » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:45 pm

Not wishing to contradict any of the above but factoring in the amount of parking and the uniqueness and beauty of each place, you might want to consider trying a couple of these, especially on your first visit to the area. The very early starts are essential for the most popular hills with relatively limited parking, for many other places and even the hotspots, 9am or 10am, or after 6pm, is unlikely to be busy enough to spoil the experience.

If you don't fancy climbing the taller hills, the Nevis gondola rewards you with excellent views on a good day, with minimal effort and plenty of parking. It is pricy though, and can be busy. Plus it's a tiny detour on the way somewhere if the car park is too full, and has forest trails and mountain bike hire.

Arisaig and Morar beaches will certainly be busy by midday but there is a fair amount of parking; maybe a bit limited with a motorhome, much easier if you have a runabout in tow. They are stunning on a sunny day and there is nothing else like them on the mainland. Don't miss them for fear of crowds! At their worst they'd be about 5% as busy as Brighton.

Similarly there is quite a lot of parking in Glencoe with people coming and going all the time, and it offers amazing views from Buachaille Etive Beag and Pap of Glencoe. They'll be busy by Scottish hill walking standards - but for me that means seeing more than two other people on a four hour walk :)

Depending on your travel plans, I'd try to fit in a stop at Luss on Loch Lomond if you'll pass it early or late. It gets insanely busy, but it's beautiful and it'll be your first taste of what the Highlands have to offer, even more so if you fancy hiring kayaks there.
davemorrissey

Munros:82   Corbetts:12
Fionas:11   Donalds:37+18
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:24
Islands:19

Postby al78 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:59 am

I suspect the Glenfinnan visitor centre can get very busy, but it is a large car park, and if you can park there, the walk along the river to Corryhully bothy is a pleasant and easy walk on a hard surface, and you will lose the crowds beyond the viaduct.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion