walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

possibility of two long walks near Kinlochewe

possibility of two long walks near Kinlochewe

Postby McYosi » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:01 pm

Hiya, maybe someone can give me some advice overhere.
I am studying OS map 19 and see it should/might be possible to do two long walks near/to Kinlochewe. According to the map there are foothpaths all the way. Is this correct and are the two routes I mention do-able for a relative novice when it comes to hillwalking. Long walks are no issue for me, I used to run marathons, lol.

1) Start from Poolewe, via Letterewe and along the Loch Maree shores to Kinlochewe.

2) Start near the cemetary near Kinlochewe, to Heights of Kinlochewe, walk to the shore of Lochan Fada and move on via Gleann Bianasdail.

Looking forward to your highly appreciated tips!
McYosi
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:1

Re: possibility of two long walks near Kinlochewe

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:45 pm

1) Start from Poolewe, via Letterewe and along the Loch Maree shores to Kinlochewe.
Might be wrong but I don't think there's a path all the way from Ardlair to Letterewe - may need to go to Kernsary then to Letterewe via Strathan Buidhe
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:13 pm

1. As Rockhopper says, there's no path between Letterewe and Ardlair along the loch. You could go over Strathan Buidhe, then to Kernsary.

2. I would do this the other way round, the walk through Heights of Kinlochewe is on easier large tracks, so might be better at the end of the day.

Both walks pass through wild, remote terrain so though there are paths, they can be faint and not always obvious, and good navigation skills are required, especially if the weather comes in and forces plans to change. I would not class them as beginners walks, but if you're fit, self reliant, and can navigate, nor are they difficult technically. The top of Gleann Bianasdail is quite rough I think.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:20 pm

Good advice above! I would also be wary about the river crossings at Lochan Fada after heavy rain.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby McYosi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:00 am

Thanks for your tips!

1) I understood there is no path near the loch to Letterewe, so the route as described was clear. On google maps I can follow the path all the way to Letterewe Lodge. My concern was/is that there is no path to be seen on google maps from the lodge to Kinlochewe, but from your comments I understand there is ;-)
2) Ah, good top, I will than do it clockwise, saving the easier bit for the end.

When it comes to rough terrain. Can it be compared to Moruisg (from Lochcarron Lodge)?
My other walks I have done are Beinn Eighe Mountain Trail and the walk from the carpark between Kinlochewe and Torridon to Triple Buttress. Are they anywhere near the terrain for the walks I am interested in to do in the autumn or can I expect a different league?
McYosi
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:13 am

I've walked from Incheril to Letterewe then part way up Strathan Buidhe before heading off to go up Beinn Airigh Charr. There is a path but it can be indistinct in places and I lost it at least once. However, I was carrying a heavy camping pack and managed it so it's doable. I'd say probably rougher for much of the way than the tracks you quote. The early part of my walk report may help and this link to geograph may also help.
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby McYosi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:23 am

Thanks a million!
McYosi
Walker

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 am

Interestingly there was a lochside path from Ardlair to Letterewe at one time - the postman used to use it. A friend tried to follow it last summer and said it was almost impossible to find - in particular a section at Creag Tharbh where there is a large wall of crags. Apparently there is supposed to be a line of cairns showing a route here, but they aren't easy to find. We were kayaking right under that section last week and it didn't look easy to find a route through.

So probably very interesting but not recommended unless you really like exploring in crags and deep undergrowth. Sorry, I realise that doesn't help much with your original query!
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Essan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:19 pm

McYosi wrote:Hiya, maybe someone can give me some advice overhere.
I am studying OS map 19

It's nice to see someone actually look at a map to plan a route of their own :thumbup:

I've walked all those paths at various times in the past - probably when in places they would have been less distinct than today - and don't recall any issues (the river crossings at Lochan Fada excepted, but only then in bad weather - and you really must ensure good weather for that walk to fully appreciate the landscape and remoteness of it all!)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby McYosi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:48 am

Thanks Essan!
Reading your answer makes me think I should be able to do the walks as mentioned.
However, I will first do some easier walks to get used to walking in the hills again (living in the middle of the Netherlands makes sure the pavement is already being considered as a hill, lol).
Guess Poca Buidhe, Behind Liathach (know the bigger part of the route already), Shenavall circuit and so on will be a good test for me when it comes to distance (apart from behind Liathach, although I might walk from the Beinn Alligin Car Park to Lower Diabaig, making it a 22k walk) and rough(er) paths.
And the weather, I will be there for four weeks, chances on at least one sunny day are a 100% I guess, haha.
McYosi
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion