walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glas Maol question

Glas Maol question

Postby denfinella » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:49 pm

I was wondering about the best way to descend from Glas Maol back to the car park on the A93 a mile and a half north of Glenshee ski centre. I can see two options - what would people recommend as the best route, or is there an alternative?

1. Use the path marked on OS maps north down the broad ridge via Sron na Gaoithe. However, this path isn't visible on satellite views, so it might not exist... (?)

2. Head WNW over Meall Odhar to the ski centre, then follow the road back north. Definite path to the roadside, but then quite a bit of road walking...

(The other obvious route is via Carn of Claise, but this would be my route of ascent. I have already done Glas Maol from the Glen Isla side - it's really Carn an Tuirc and Carn of Claise I'm interested in.)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Glas Maol question

Postby martin1909 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:11 pm

I went with number 2. A quick descent but as you mentioned a good bit of road walking which wasnt ideal after such a long day. If speed is your main concern though, 2 is your best bet I reckon.
martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 pm

Had a look back and I came off Glas Maol to Craig Leacach then back to the ski centre via Meall Odhar as my car was in the ski centre car park. I avoided reascending GM and skirted round it - don't think there was a proper track but found some animal tracks which helped until I got to MO - don't remember any big issues though it was some time ago. Link below to a view of Sròn na Gaoithe from the car park for Carn an Tuirc - can't see any specific tracks but the ground doesn't look too bad from that side anyway although may be some scree near the top - guess it depends on how happy you are with/without tracks ?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.9033143,-3.4009398,3a,28.9y,129.11h,92.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYglTsqnOGRjBfqC4wrDfeQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby denfinella » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:01 pm

I'm really just after the "nicest" option (subjective of course) - speed is not important. Paths aren't essential but of course make for easier going.

If the Sron na Gaoithe route has something of a path then that would probably be my preference to avoid the road walk on the alternative route. If it's completely pathless however, that might shift the balance towards the latter.
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Dave Hewitt » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Was on Glas Maol again (for the 19th time) on Saturday and (again not for the first time) came down by the Sron na Gaoithe ridge. I'd say it's much the best way off if heading down the north side - far nicer and safer than the road option. There's a grassy path all the way, although there are a couple of junctions so you need to be able to navigate in normal on-the-ground terms rather than relying on satellite stuff. Take the path from Glas Maol summit as if heading to Cairn of Claise, then turn left along a level stretch at a junction with a small cairn. When it reaches an old fallen-down gate with some metal posts, look for a faint left fork and follow it. This soon becomes a clearer path and angles down nicely on to the SnG ridge - very pleasant going. At the dip before SnG itself there's a choice of staying on the ridge or taking a path that skirts it to the right - the actual summit is worth taking in though and there's again a thin path that leads from it to meet the other path lower down. The last bit is very nice too - especially since they put the bridge in.

It took me 65 minutes from Glas Maol to the road on Saturday, not in any hurry and with a couple of minutes off at SnG. Nice way down.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Number 1 would be my choice too. I've only ever been that way in winter, so I can't say how good the path is, but Dave H above has provided a good description for you!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby denfinella » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 pm

Thanks all, and Dave Hewitt: that's brilliant, definitely sounds like that's the best route for me then. (Don't worry, satellite view was just for route planning in advance!)

During this good weather spell I'm tending to go west when I can, but I'm sure there'll be a day soon enough when the Cairngorms are the better bet again...
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Scottk » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 pm

Dave is spot on. It’s a decent path and the ground is lovely-short grass, heather and moss. Nice walking. Can be a bit boggy but will be pretty dry just now.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Avocetboy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Having done both, I would go for option 1, the grassy ridge is lovely and the final drop is steep but nothing awkward. The alternative, through the skiing paraphernalia is uninteresting and the walk down the road is tedious and full of road kill
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby denfinella » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:09 pm

Thank you all. Option 1 it is.
denfinella
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion