walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Torridon camping

Torridon camping

Postby ianmcnab88 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:25 pm

Hi folks, I hope you're all enjoying the recent upturn in weather.

I'm planning a two night/three day camping trip to Torridon next week, with a day each for Liathach and Beinns Eihge and Alligin. Normally I look for a quiet location, but am currently more in the mood for somewhere I can enjoy the extra comforts brought about by a car, as well as proximity to a cafe/pub/etc. However, with the campsite being closed this year, does anyone know if there are any spots close to the village that would still give me easy access? Preferably walking distance but wouldn't mind a few minutes drive.

Thanks in advance :)
ianmcnab88
Walker

Munros:70   Corbetts:3
Islands:21

Re: Torridon camping

Postby LobeyD » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but I'm planning something similar this weekend or early next week and, in addition to more general suggestions, was wondering if anyone had recent experience of the Taagan camp site round by Kinlochewe, both in terms of number of folk and conditions. Was there a couple of Augusts ago and it was a bit overgrown and midgey if I remember, but relatively quiet. Probably just about an acceptable drunken stagger from the pub :wink:.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby smalltounboy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:40 pm

The SMC's Ling Hut may have availability, ask your club secretary to check with the hut custodian

Regards
Mark
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:150   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Postby teaandpies » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:58 pm

If it's any help I stayed at the Kinlochewe Caravan and Motorhome Club Campsite earlier on in the summer, it was excellent...if you're camping ask to avoid pitch 1 & 2 because the ground is hard to get pegs in, if that's not a problem for ya pitch 1 & 2 are the best located for the water spout, the facilities and laundry. Just a few minutes drive to the hills and a decent breakfast roll form the cafe nextdoor too :lol:

The facilities were clean. The husband and wife team running it this year are lovely :thumbup:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby ianmcnab88 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:01 pm

Thanks, all. I will look up the campsite and SMC hut. A roll and black pudding is always going to sway me.
ianmcnab88
Walker

Munros:70   Corbetts:3
Islands:21

Postby Louisewalks » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:39 pm

When I was at Torridon beginning of June, folk were still camping at the camp site and the toilets are back open 24 hours. Just drop money in the Honesty box to help out :)
Louisewalks
Hill Bagger

Munros:164   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:17   Islands:10

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:09 pm

The campsite at Sheildaig is a cracking wee spot too, with great facilities. A pal and I stayed there in June. £10 per tent p.n. as I recall, and only a ten min drive from Glen Torridon
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion