walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Question about farmyard access rights

Question about farmyard access rights

Postby MrFlowers » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:06 am

I'm planning a walk at the minute from St Andrews to Crail that doesn't go via the coastal path. I noticed on the map that there are a lot of small roads and farm tracks that lead there and allow you to avoid the A917. However, I am not sure whether you're actually allowed to walk down these farm tracks as some end up cutting through the middle of a farm yard. I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to access rights, so was wondering whether I could get some advice.

You can actually use Google StreetView to go along a fair bit of the route I've planned out. When using this, I noticed the entrance to one of the farm yards has a big sign saying "DANGER Access Forbidden No Unaurthorised Entry". I've attached a picture just to be clear on where the sign is, as I think that's important for answering my next question. Does this sign refer to entering any point beyond the sign, or just entering into the farmyard itself? Obviously if I were walking along here I would just stick to the farm track and not go wandering around the buidlings! But are farmers allowed to just put a sign up saying you can't even walk through the farm yard to get to the rest of the track beyond? Just to be clear, this farm track is not a core path.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Capture farm.PNG
MrFlowers

Re: Question about farmyard access rights

Postby NickyRannoch » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:02 pm

Access Rights don't extend to working farmyards.

From the bales on the right I would say that looks like a working farmyard operating heavy machinery.

Worth noting signs like that one don't necessarily denote hostility but might just be the farmer keeping himself right should you get minced by one of his tractors.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: Question about farmyard access rights

Postby Scraggygoat » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:54 pm

The Access Code says:

Although access rights do not extend to farmyards, many people take access through farmyards when following paths and tracks.

In practice:

if a right of way or core path goes through a farmyard, you can follow this at any time
if a reasonable, passable alternative route is signposted around the farmyard and buildings, then you should follow this.
In the absence of a right of way, core path or reasonable, signposted route around the farmyard and buildings, you:

might be able to go through the farmyard if the farmer is content or if access has been taken on a customary basis in the past; or you
could exercise your access rights to go around the farmyard and buildings.
If you do go through a farmyard, proceed safely and carefully, watch out for machinery or livestock, and respect the privacy of those living on the farm.

Responsible behaviour by land managers

The Access Code says:

Many paths and tracks go through farmyards. If there is no right of way or core path through your farmyard, you are encouraged to continue to allow access where this does not interfere unreasonably with your work. You could work with your local authority to signpost the best route through or around your farmyard.

I would walk through responsibly, on the basis that if you are following a track from place a to place b, it is likely that access was taken on a customary basis in the past and your presence will not unreasonably interfere.
Scraggygoat

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion