walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Parking layby for Ben Challum (A82, Kirkton) Busy?

Parking layby for Ben Challum (A82, Kirkton) Busy?

Postby beany_bot » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:14 pm

Hi all. Was thinking about going up Ben Challum tomorrow. Does anyone have any idea how busy the layby parking might be...? Obviously it's not the weekend, but with covid wierdness places seem to be mobbed even midweek! and this weather too. Just wondering because If I need to be there early I will be. But doesn't look clear till the afternoon so I would rather wait and get views if I safely can.

Ta,
beany_bot
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   

Re: Parking layby for Ben Challum (A82, Kirkton) Busy?

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 pm

If the layby is full, there is always plenty of space at Auchtertyre, which hardly adds any distance to the normal route (and is more convenient if you want to make a circuit via the NW ridge, which I recommend as an interesting alternative to the standard out-and-back).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby adamwatson500 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:17 am

Just for others' benefit - we climbed Ben Challum yesterday (Sunday 25th).

A friend joined us and had the last space in the layby at around 10am (busy but not as insane as many other popular areas), we parked at Auchtertyre which was quiet - one campervan and us only.

We headed up the glen to ascend via the NW ridge - an excellent route so thanks to the members of this forum who posted and endorsed it.
The bogs on the direct route were also very dry so a good time to visit.
adamwatson500

Munros:78   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:89   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:12 pm

adamwatson500 wrote:We headed up the glen to ascend via the NW ridge - an excellent route so thanks to the members of this forum who posted and endorsed it.

Glad you enjoyed it!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion