walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bridge of Orchy to Dalmally

Bridge of Orchy to Dalmally

Postby AndyATSmith » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:54 am

I'm planning a walk from Bridge of Orchy to Dalmally via the following route:

Forestry road from Bridge of Orchy, passing through Inverveigh and continuing down Glen Orchy to the Eas Urchaidh waterfall. Out of interest, I wonder why the complete forestry road only appears on the OS 1:50000 map and not the 1:25000 one? Then I'll just follow the B8074 as far as the footbridge just south of Catnish (Grid ref: 232305). Between both map scales there appears to be footpaths linking up to a farm track at 214297 which can then be followed into Dalmally.

Does anyone know if the footpaths between the footbridge and the farm track are actually visible on the ground? I'm walking alone and so I'm not terribly keen to go off the trodden track!

Andy
AndyATSmith
Walker

Re: Bridge of Orchy to Dalmally

Postby tweedledog » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:51 am

Not been along that way since last year, but a couple of things you should be aware of. The forestry track from Bridge of Orchy to Eas Urchaidh has been reinforced while tree harvesting has been going on - they decided it was easier to take timber out across the Eas Urchaidh bridge (also reinforced) rather than via Bridge of Orchy. Last time I was there I walked up it from Eas Urchaidh a fair distance to where it stopped being a big, stony motorway and reverted to forest track. Completely different to how it used to be when there was a notional bike route through the forest up to Bridge of Orchy. I doubt that the new track exactly follows what appears on the OS map, but given the scale of the new one there shouldn't be any navigation problems (it used to be narrow and rambling). Perhaps more important for your route the footbridge at Catnish has been closed for some years now. Back in 2014 I think it was, they closed it for safety reasons and put up a notice saying it would re-open "next year". Ha! Still closed. Alternative route for you would be to stay on the west side of the river. As you walk down towards the bridge at Eas Urchaidh, and maybe 50 metres before the fishing hut on the right, there is a rough track on your right which runs parallel to the river along to Catnish. You probably can't see its start at the moment for fallen trees and the like, and it's as much a firebreak as a track. But it is negotiable. As I said, I haven't been that way since last year and maybe the start is easier to find if the forest work has moved to that side. I also recall somebody reporting on this site managing to walk directly along the bank of the river between Eas Urchaidh and Catnish, though thick undergrowth to contend with there. Anyway, once at Catnish you bypass the cottage on the river side of its grounds and keep going through the woodland past the bridge. There used to be a very clear path here, but with the bridge shut it may well have partly disappeared for lack of use. Then you can find the track that leads to Craig Farm and Dalmally.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby tweedledog » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:25 am

PS You can see the Eas Urchaidh/Catnish route through the forest on the map to this walk report:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37189
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby AndyATSmith » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:12 pm

Thanks for all that info - I'm glad I've found out about the bridge being out of action. I'll maybe have a rethink of plans now. Thinking about heading up Glen Strae from Dalmally instead and just see how far I can get before heading back the same route.

Cheers,

Andy
AndyATSmith
Walker

Postby tweedledog » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:12 am

Only occurred to me after I sent the link to my walk report that an alternative bypass of Catnish would be up through the Pine Reserve and around the wee lochan as in my walk. Drop down to the Orchy and follow it downstream until you find the farm track. Would add about 3 miles and a chunk of ascent, however. But more scenic than struggling through the forest.

As to Glen Strae, the main track runs about 5 miles up the glen, mostly stony though becomes a grass track towards the end and peters out in the flat grazing beneath Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh. It is possible to keep going all the way across to Glen Kinglass, though I've not done that and so don't know what condition the old stalker's paths are in. It's an enjoyable walk up and down Glen Strae, eagles occasionally seen at the head of the glen, and plenty of deer around at the right time of day. The Highland Cattle are generally docile...
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby AndyATSmith » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:34 pm

Thanks again for the advice. :) Had an enjoyable walk up and down Glen Strae with no Highland cows to contend with!

Andy
AndyATSmith
Walker

Postby tweedledog » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:06 pm

Glad you enjoyed Glen Strae Andy; I'm very fond of it.
Meanwhile, today I took a trip up Glen Orchy to check out my old route. First thing, the bridge at Catnish isn't just closed. it's gone, a late bridge, an ex-bridge. Now I think about it, I remember someone telling me that it got badly damaged by debris washed down the river last September when the Orchy flooded to unusually high levels. Anyway, it's now been completely removed and the car park/picnic area next to it no longer exists. A consequence of this, however, is that my route through the forest from Eas Urchaidh to Catnish has been cleared of undergrowth and fallen trees and is therefore wider and very easy to walk along. Its start point about 100m up the track from the bridge at Eas Urchaidh is now very clear and the walk from there to Catnish is a gentle, undulating stroll. So if you or anyone else is thinking of doing that route from Bridge of Orchy to Dalmally then there's no problem with that section. Once you reach the cottage at Catnish you still have to work your way along between the fence and the river (the gate to the cottage grounds is locked) and, as I said earlier, I don't know what the path through the woods is like after Catnish since it won't have had a lot of use. I didn't got that far today because my ancient 16 year old dog wouldn't have tolerated it. The track has been "improved" because it's now the only access to Catnish Cottage which, I notice, is for sale.

This is what did for the bridge (picture from the Oban Times) :

Catnishbridge.jpg
tweedledog
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion