walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Great Glen Way planning

Great Glen Way planning

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:23 am

Southbound from Inverness to Fort William (anyone any strong reasons for or against this direction?)

I am thinking of doing this in August 21, my thinking so far is leave my car in Fort William then citylink to Inverness.

Are there plenty of camping spots? (Wild or campsites) Have seen a couple of videos on YouTube saying on the high route sections they are few and far between, obviously there are the trailblazer sites (the only thing is it’s a 2.5 mile round trip to get the key).

Also what are food options like en route ie breakfast, lunch, dinner as well as snack stops as I want to travel light and carry minimum food? The same with water I’ve seen comments that it’s not easy to come by on the high routes (I imagine more so in August). My water system is carry 500ml and fill up when I’m almost empty or empty that’s usually enough for 5 to 10 miles or sometimes longer depending on terrain and heat.

Any information provided is greatly received.

My gear list (which is changing as I put it together) is basically what I took on the west highland way but with a few changes based on what used and what worked etc.

https://lighterpack.com/r/9dv1xy
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Re: Great Glen Way planning

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:05 pm

There's some useful info on the walks section of this site https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/great-glen-way.shtml
Be aware that places are busy this year, so it's worth booking campsites in advance.

Personally, I think much of the route is too low down to feel comfortable taking water from streams.

If it was me, I'd save weight on the electronics and washing kit - no need for deodorant or shaving kit, and just use soap rather than shower gel.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Low Level Walker » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:25 pm

You can have the trailblazer key sent out to you in the post. At least you could previously, don’t know if this has changed in Covid times.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby denfinella » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:29 pm

Not a big issue, but south(west)bound would typically be into the sun and the wind. I personally prefer to walk with these behind me.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:17 pm

I've only ever done it on the bike and south to north. With the wind against unfortunately. It was too early in the year for the west wind. They didn't have the trailblazer locations then, which look to be a good resource. They are primarily for the canoe people. I don't think you will have access to any of them for the first half of your walk on the GGW unless you swim across Loch Ness :D
I agree with Dave about the water situation. I would take enough so that I could top up at proper water point or buy some at a shop if necessary. :shock:

All the best, It's a fine route :D
Sunset tripper

Postby gld73 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:23 pm

Asides from the start and finish towns, the main places you'll pass through with shops and cafes are Drumnadrochit and Fort Augustus, plus Invermoriston on a smaller scale. Probably pass 1 or 2 other places with food/drinks but I can't think of them other than the cafe/campsite at Abriachan. You certainly don't need to carry food for the whole walk.

I did half of it heading north (the northern half) and then from Invermoriston to Fort William heading south - but that's because I did it in February and camping didn't appeal..! ...so it made it easier accommodation/travel-wise for me. Wild camping and reliably clean water sources are a bit hit and miss, and accommodation such as the Great Glen Way Hostel and Loch Ness Backpackers which are close to the route are good budget options but might well be booked up in August.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion