walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Park and hike for one night in Scotland.

Park and hike for one night in Scotland.

Postby scogem » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:23 pm

Hello,

For the forseeable future I am likely to only get weekends off. I am still keen to do a bit more hiking and camping though.

Can you recommend any places in Scotland where I can...
  • park legally, safely and preferably free or cheaply
  • hike around 5+ hours to a nice wildcamping spot or a campsite
  • then loop around back to my car (I can head straight back if required)

I guess there might be many options but would like to know the best spots.

Thanks
scogem
Backpacker

Munros:2   

Re: Park and hike for one night in Scotland.

Postby al78 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:42 pm

Blair Atholl. Hike up Glen Tilt, up Carn a Chlamain, keep heading north along the highest ground until you feel like pitching camp. Next day, head round to Beinn Dearg and descend to the bothy in glen Bruar, then folow the Minigaig back to Blair Atholl.

Alternatively, walk up glen Tilt to the falls of Bruar, then head west along the Tarf Water (there is a path marked on the OS map), and camp near the remote bothy that is next to the river a couple of miles upstream. Next day, climb Carn a Chlamain and walk down to glen Tilt.

Another route that crossed my mind is to start at Glenmore visitor centre and hike over Bynack More and down to loch Avon. There may be a good place to camp beside the loch or alternatively carry on up to loch Etchachan and camp there. Next day go over Ben Macdui and take the path that parallels the Lairig Ghru and descends to the north of Cairn Lochan finishing at the ski centre, then get the bus back to the visitor centre or walk the 2.5 miles along the road. This will be a lot more strenuous, but I should imagine itis feasible to hike from the visitor centre to loch Avon via a summit in five hours, and from the lochside you have several choices of route back.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:50 am

Aviemore would be a good start; parking up the hill at the Cairngorm ski centre and hiking off in to the hills. The Linn O'Dee car park near Braemar is another, and Loch Muick near Ballater too. The Glen Shee ski centre has a large car park too, at high altitude with a cafe for snacks and refreshments.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby scogem » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:38 pm

I think I have seen a YouTube video where someone parks at Aviemore car park and goes off a camping spot. That looks the most likely choice. I will consider all the suggestions.

First I might try and find a campsite I can travel to from the car park as I am hoping to test out a new tent.
Its a tarp tent and I am not confident enough to be stuck up a hill in strong winds with it.
scogem
Backpacker

Postby Scottk » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:45 pm

You can camp at Loch an Eilein near Aviemore and park your car there too. It costs but has toilets. Alternatively, loch morlich has a camp site. Park at Linn of Dee and you are only 5 k to Derry lodge with quite a few camping spots.
What tarptent do you have?
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby scogem » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:11 pm

I have a Liteway Pyraomm Duo.
I have put it up 3 times and dont seem to be getting any better at keeping it secure. It has held up though, but not tested in strong winds.
Should probably got a freestanding dome type tent to begin camping with.
scogem
Backpacker

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:38 pm

scogem wrote:I have a Liteway Pyraomm Duo.

Does that provide sufficient protection from midges?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby scogem » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 pm

I have the Liteway full mesh that goes with it too. Used once, midges didnt get in.
scogem
Backpacker

Postby scogem » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:27 pm

Can you just turn up to these car parks (near Loch an Eilein)? and is it likely I will get a spot?

I turned up to campsites in Balmaha that were limited due to covid and had no spaces available. Had been told there are always spaces.
scogem
Backpacker

Postby Scottk » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:07 pm

I’m not sure how busy it is currently. It is run by Rothiemurchus Estate. Last time I used it was 2 years ago on the TGO. I arrived late and pitched near the toilets and left early. At the time I didn’t know you were supposed to pay!
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby davekeiller » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:02 pm

Remember that this is not a normal summer.
Due to Covid restrictions, people aren't taking foreign holidays, but are holidaying in the UK. Also Covid restrictions mean that places in the UK have reduced capacity. There's additional pressure coming from all the people who booked for last year and had to re-book for this summer.
Having said that, the Cairngorms is a popular area, and some car parks do get busy. Cairngorm Ski centre is big enough that it's rarely full, Coire na ciste and sugarbowl almost always have spaces due to being that bit more remote. The car parks near Loch an Eilein are likely to be busy. Your best chance of getting a space is either to get there early (before everyone else, say 8am) or late (after people have started to go home, say after 4pm).

All the options so far seem to be on the A9. It might be worth considering some options on the west, like Glen Nevis or Bridge of Orchy. If you can time it right, get the evening train to Corrour station and then either do a circular walk or walk out to another station on the line.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion