walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

So how are the midges/clegs/ticks where you are?

Re: So how are the midges/clegs/ticks where you are?

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:49 am

The clegs were absolutely horrendous on the Beinn Deargs (Gruinard Bay approach) a couple of weeks back. A few ticks but got rid of them before they could attach and midges were only a problem on Beinn Dearg Bheag's summit. Beinn Airigh Charr a couple of days later was much more "fun" - loads of clegs all the way up until about 500m, then a swarm of flying ant literally swirling around the summit cairn, from which I had to bolt :lol:

Now I remember why I don't bother with hills most summers :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Alex W » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:02 pm

Horrendous midges in Glen Tilt at the weekend. I've have never experienced as many as were around. They disappeared with a breeze, but there wasn't much breeze in the Glen - can you imagine a Scottish Glen without much breeze?
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby kaiserstein » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Was at barisdale bay fri / sat camping on Sgùrr a' Choire-bheithe, Fri was calm and overcast. Sat improved with some sunshine. Not really bothered by anything around coast. Going up glen / hill - the score was some midges; zero clegs; two ked and two ticks. Not bad for a pathless corbett in knoydart in august.
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Alex W wrote:Horrendous midges in Glen Tilt at the weekend. I've have never experienced as many as were around. They disappeared with a breeze, but there wasn't much breeze in the Glen - can you imagine a Scottish Glen without much breeze?

Amazing how fast this changes. I spent almost a week in Glen Tilt over a few trips this summer and never saw the midge even with no breeze. Quite a few ticks though.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:12 pm

We are out walking (3 of us) every week and "touch wood" have never seen a tick.
Clegs and midges are always going to be a problem as we are in Scotland. A breeze is always welcome as that tends to keep the little eating machines tucked up in their beds.

Out of interest how many folk wear shorts?
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby davekeiller » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:43 pm

Two tick bites (that I've found) on Ben Alder or the Fara this Friday/Saturday. Plenty of midges, although I find that mosquito coils keep them out of my tent. Apparently midges like me.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Alex W » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:09 am

Fife Flyer wrote:We are out walking (3 of us) every week and "touch wood" have never seen a tick.
Clegs and midges are always going to be a problem as we are in Scotland. A breeze is always welcome as that tends to keep the little eating machines tucked up in their beds.

I don't wear shorts precisely because of the midge/ kleg/ tick problem. Similarly I avoid short sleeves.

The wee blighters still find a way in through collars and cuffs, but it limits the damage.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby Jon and Jen » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 am

Fife Flyer wrote:We are out walking (3 of us) every week and "touch wood" have never seen a tick.

I wore shorts during the recent heatwave. Ended up with sunburned legs with horrendous nudge bites adding to the red effect. Won't be wearing shorts again in a hurry. Less ticks for some reason though.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby bar72 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:38 am

I must've been lucky this year. The Fara was brutal in July for clegs, not a single thing down the road on the Sow of Atholl. Absolutely nothing down at Balquhidder when doing Beinn Stacath & Ben Vane.

Not ticks picked up this year and i've been in shorts 'n' t-shirt for all my walks.
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby Dunfie » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:37 pm

The midges were horrendous in Glen Dessarry on Sunday morning. Fortunately a breeze arrived so didn't bother us the rest of the day.

I've had a few ticks this year and also had Lymes which wasn't pleasant (a month of antibiotics was needed to clear that up).
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion