walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Munros accessible by public transport

Munros accessible by public transport

Postby Jasmine_21 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi guys,
I was wondering if you have any suggestions for some nice Munros which could be reached by public transport? I live in the South of England and want to make a weekend Munro hiking trip by first flying to Glasgow or Edinburgh and then continuing by train or bus (I don't own a car). I have already bagged a couple of Munros around Fort William (Ben Nevis included), and Beinn Ime in Arrochar.
Jasmine_21
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Munros accessible by public transport

Postby Scottk » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:34 pm

Aviemore by train from Glasgow. Access ro Lairig Ghru for quite a few Munro’s. There are also the Monadhliath Munro’s from Newtonmore which is a short journey away. If you are up for wild camping, you could spend 4/5 nights going around the Lairig Ghru / Glen Feshie area. Lobely area with plenty camping. Camp at Loch A’an or Etchachan and pick off a few munros then move a d pick off a few more.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Skyelines » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Five minutes with an OS map revealed three stations with Munros nearby - Crianlarich, Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:50 pm

You could take a train to Blair Atholl and go over the hills to Aviemore where you can get train or Citylink coach.
Train or Citylink coach to Bridge of Orchy gives access to Black Mount Munros or Bridge of Orchy Hills.
Train or Citylink coach to Dalwhinnie gives access for Ben Alder and various Munros.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:57 pm

Catch the train direct from Glasgow to Corrrour. Here you can climb Ben na Lap, Carn Dearg and Sgor Gaibre. You could either stay in the Youth Hostel,(or camp) or just do Ben na Lap and come back the same day to Crianlarich. A few hills within easy reach.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:11 pm

There's quite a bit of information at http://steverabone.com/MunroWalker/munros_by_public_transport.htm - especially useful if you already have a particular nice Munro in mind.

https://bustimes.org/ is also useful for figuring out where you can get to.

Or some suggestions at https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/munros-by-train.html

Easyjet have London-Inverness flights, too.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Grahame37 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:23 am

Over the years I've used the train to climb quit a few Munros. To give you some ideas the stations and hills climbed (not all at the same time) are listed below:-

Arrocher & Tarbet - Beinn Narnain, Ben Ime, Ben Vane & Beinn Bhuide (+ bus to Loch Fyne)

Ardlui - Ben Vorlich

Crianlarich - Cruich Ardrain, Beinn Tulaichean, Beinn a' Chroin, An Caisteal & Beinn Chabhair

Tyndrum Lower - Ben Challum, Ben Lui, Ben Oss & Beinn Dubhchraig

Loch Awe - Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Falls of Cruachan - Ben Cruachan & Stob Diamh

Bridge of Orchy - Finish point of Beinn a' Chreachain > Beinn Dorain trip having started at Gorton bothy

Rannoch - Carn Dearg & Sgor Gaibhre

Corrour - Beinn na Lap

Blair Atholl - Beinn Dearg

Dalwhinnie - All seven hills (3 east & 4 west) of the A9. Also start point of overnight trip to Corrour which included Geal Charn, Aonach Beag & Beinn Eibhinn

Newtonmore - A' Chailleach, Carn Sgulain & Carn Dearg

Regarding taking the train two things to note. At present Scotrail services are affected by strike action on Sundays which might not help you for a weekend visit. Also with regards to tickets split ticketing can work out cheaper eg for an Edinburgh - Arrocher & Tarbet day trip I'd buy a day return to Helensburgh and then a Helensburgh - Arrocher return.
Grahame37

Munros:268   Corbetts:159
Donalds:4

Postby Jon and Jen » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:23 pm

I've been using the bus the past few months, mostly to Blair Atholl, Aviemore, Kingussie etc to access the Cairngorms. Any one of those stops on the route to Inverness will give you access to many, many munros.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby davekeiller » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:25 pm

I would go Glasgow to Crianlarich or Tyndrum. Bear in mind that accommodation is likely to be booked up and there are no trains on Sundays until further notice.
Also note that whilst the SYHA in Crianlarich is open, the kitchen is not.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion