walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Parking for Ben Damph

Parking for Ben Damph

Postby Telcontar » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:59 pm

Hi folks,

I'm passing the time waiting for the midges, ticks, tourists, long days, and greenery to pass by planning my autumn photography forays. These usually involve a car camp (camp is a stretch - i sleep in the car basically) as close to the start of a walk as possible so I can maximise sleep and still get up to a top for sunrise.

Ben Damph is on my list, and I'm wondering if there's a likely spot nearby for an overnight car camp. I don't mind a short drive to park at the Torridon Inn (which seems to now be a very posh resort, but presumably you can still park there). I've slept in various deserted car parks by Loch Maree before now for Beinn Eighe but it would take a good half hour from there to the Torridon Inn.

TIA
Telcontar
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Parking for Ben Damph

Postby jmarkb » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:35 pm

There is a rough layby about 1 mile West of the hotel https://goo.gl/maps/TzQs1LiQZgC9vBYt6 and also the viewpoint another half mile further on https://goo.gl/maps/uKJD8XjwcVjFG4Um6
Parking at the less posh bit of the hotel complex (what used to be the Ben Damph Bar) is fine - was there a few weeks ago. There are signs to the hill path from there. If you are going to be climbing Ben Damh in the dark, it is worth being aware that the section of the path that skirts round the side of the NW top is sketchy and easy to lose even in daylight.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:56 pm

Also worth noting that after rain, the exposed roots at the bottom of the path can be a death trap.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Telcontar » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:31 pm

Thanks both, I'll bear that all in mind. Generally near the top things are getting fairly light but I will keep an eye on the GPS if I end up going.
Telcontar
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:4   

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:09 pm

We stayed in nearby Sheildaig - they have a parking area at the village toilets that is used for overnight stays. £5 donation to keep loo / water working to local community. North end of main street, overlooking sea eagle nest on the island so take the binoculars.
Parking at the foot of the walk is available for about three cars, next to the road bridge over the gorge.
Pick a better day than we did - we bailed as we crested the ridge in rain, to find 40mph+rain....
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:56 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:Pick a better day than we did - we bailed as we crested the ridge in rain, to find 40mph+rain....

That's why it was called Ben Damp for me for years! Last trip was fortunately nicer!

"Pub" part of the hotel, were fine with us parking there a few winters back, but there was space in the layby anyway, with another smaller layby just across the bridge and round the corner.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion