walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Braeriach to Corrour Bothy any way down

Braeriach to Corrour Bothy any way down

Postby emjga » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:17 pm

Folks

Looking to do a 2 day , possible Friday as afternoon as well.

Lin of Dee to Corrour Bothy via White Bridge (Friday Afternoon)
Devils point , Cairn Toul , Sgor an Lochain Uaine , Braeriach (Saturday)

The question is is there any way down from Braeriach to Lairrig Ghru and then back to Corrour Both
Without having to re-trace my steps back the way I came or follow the recommend track

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/map1_27cg.shtml

Thanks

Matt
emjga
Walker

Munros:113   Corbetts:9
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3

Re: Braeriach to Corrour Bothy any way down

Postby jmarkb » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:35 pm

It is possible to descend into the Lairig Ghru from the col between Braeriach and Sron na Lairig - see this thread for details https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88674
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:35 pm

I came down the SE shoulder of Braeriach starting on the E side of Coire Bhrochain. It was more tedious than dangerous I thought. It's 500-600 of picking your way through boulders but nothing really sketchy that I remember.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby davekeiller » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:38 pm

it's steep but doable.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby emjga » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanks folks

Looks like I will have to give a try
emjga
Walker

Postby gld73 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:47 am

Bear in mind Corrour bothy could well be very busy at a weekend - so if you take a tent in case the bothy is full, it also gives you flexibility to camp elsewhere anyway.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby emjga » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:29 am

gld73 wrote:Bear in mind Corrour bothy could well be very busy at a weekend - so if you take a tent in case the bothy is full, it also gives you flexibility to camp elsewhere anyway.

I have assumed the bothy is still closed and have a tent
emjga
Walker

Postby katyhills » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:21 am

I don't want to be a party pooper here, but the forecast for this weekend [and Friday] is for thunderstorms etc, although I think the north east is slightly better than the west, and further south.

Don't know if that affects your decision making, but thought I'd say when I saw your post . I was also assuming you meant this coming weekend for your trip. Apologies if I've misunderstood :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:26 am

The ‘Dukes’ path is the quickest way to loose height, then is open but wet slopes down to the Dee, with limited interest or visual appeal.

As well as the E shoulder of Coire Brochain, there is also the shoulder to the W between Coire Brochain and Coire Dhaidh. Both these are rarely travelled, are more tedious than difficult though in parts are steep knee bashing ground, comprising bits of Boulder hoping and on the Eastern route long scraggy heather lower down. They do have the advantage of each visiting a remote and delightful corries, but mean you will be crossing the Dee lower and most likely will have to get wet feet.

If not short of time and unlikely to visit again for a while I’d opt to drop into Coire Dhaidh, and get to experience its wonderful meadow, look out the Boulder howff, take in the changing view of Angels ridge and the opposite side, before soak up the scale of Garbh Coire (which you don’t really appreciate walking round the rim) with its many cliffs, followed by an easy wandering down past the shelter. But this will add time to your day.
Scraggygoat

Postby emjga » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:52 am

katyhills wrote:I don't want to be a party pooper here, but the forecast for this weekend [and Friday] is for thunderstorms etc, although I think the north east is slightly better than the west, and further south.

Don't know if that affects your decision making, but thought I'd say when I saw your post . I was also assuming you meant this coming weekend for your trip. Apologies if I've misunderstood :)

Not this weekend , you will find me in the pub watching the rugby

Maybe following weekend but need to wait until a more accurate weather forcast is available
emjga
Walker

Postby whiteburn » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:39 pm

I've descended & ascended 'Dukes path' many times & it's pretty straight forward.
From the cairn just off the main path down the Sron na Lairige (~NH965002) just follow the zigzags down into Coire Ruadh where the path it peters out, resist the temptation to continue straight down & head NE down to the Pools of Dee & connect with the LG.
Also shortest route to Corrour is via Derry Lodge not White Bridge, but there's nothing stopping you going that way & returning the other.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby emjga » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:44 pm

whiteburn wrote:I've descended & ascended 'Dukes path' many times & it's pretty straight forward.
From the cairn just off the main path down the Sron na Lairige (~NH965002) just follow the zigzags down into Coire Ruadh where the path it peters out, resist the temptation to continue straight down & head NE down to the Pools of Dee & connect with the LG.
Also shortest route to Corrour is via Derry Lodge not White Bridge, but there's nothing stopping you going that way & returning the other.

Thanks
Nice clear explanation 👌

I was going to bike to Derry Lodge

Just need some nice weather (not this weekend)
emjga
Walker

Postby Kenny Raeside » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:44 am

I’m planning to do this route this coming Tuesday with an overnight camp somewhere.
Was planning on biking to Derry lodge then tackling Devils Point and working my way around the others from there.
Would an overnight camp prior to or just after doing Braeriach be a good option ?
Then walk back through the lairig Ghru to Corrour bothy and back to Derry lodge the next day.

Weather permitting of course.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Postby davekeiller » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:22 am

Depends a bit on what you mean by "a good option".
It also depends how fit you are, and how early you start.

Remember that you're on a summit plateau, so it will be exposed to the wind, and there won't be that many water sources.
Down in the Lairig Ghru you've got a massive great river for water, and some shelter from the wind.

If you start moderately early, you could bike out to Derry lodge and then walk in to Corrour bothy. You could then make camp and do the steep bit of the walk with a light rucksack, returning to your tent in the evening.
This is the approach I took recently with Ben Alder and Ben Bheoil, and it has the advantage of giving you the pick of the pitches, as well as a lighter sack on the steep ground. This does, of course, commit you to a long day, but it's easier to move with a lighter sack, and there's no reason why you couldn't take your stove and have your evening meal on the hill.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby whiteburn » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:45 am

Kenny Raeside wrote:I’m planning to do this route this coming Tuesday with an overnight camp somewhere.
Was planning on biking to Derry lodge then tackling Devils Point and working my way around the others from there.
Would an overnight camp prior to or just after doing Braeriach be a good option ?
Then walk back through the lairig Ghru to Corrour bothy and back to Derry lodge the next day.....

There's lots of ways to split the journey:
There's some good pitches across the glen opposite Corrour (~NN985957).
Pitches at Corrour bothy, can be busy.
On the saddle above Coire Odhar, good if seeking a breeze to keep the midge at bay.
Around the Wells of Dee (huge area), also good in light winds.
There also spots south of the Pools of Dee alongside the river.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion