walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Clag bagging

Clag bagging


Postby nikcster » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:29 pm

For baggers out there, what Munros would you suggest 'getting out of the way' on those occasional days when the weather is claggy or raining?

I'm imagining hills that take have less interesting terrain or limited views, or ones that can be done in a couple of hours from a car. Stuff like that.
User avatar
nikcster
 
Posts: 49
Munros:46   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Joined: Mar 23, 2008

Re: Clag bagging

Postby al78 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:02 pm

My guess:

Ben Chonzie
Carn Na Gaim
A Bhuidheanach Beag
User avatar
al78
Walker
 
Posts: 1052
Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1
Joined: Feb 1, 2018

Re: Clag bagging

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:15 pm

I'm not sure there are any Munros that I'd recommend "getting out the way". Assuming "less interesting terrain" means bog, peat hags and Landrover tracks, those hills will likely be more difficult in claggy and wet conditions due to reduced visibility and burns in spate.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 325
Munros:47   Corbetts:162
Grahams:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: Jul 27, 2016
Location: Inverness

Re: Clag bagging

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:48 pm

An alternative would be to do the narrow ridges, because they're still interesting with no views.

For example, I did the Aonach Eagach in clag. The drops were less scary because you couldn't see them and navigation wasn't such a problem on a ridge (apart from remembering which top you were on and to take a compass bearing before leaving). It had the added bonus of not being busy - although it was in February with no snow. Rain might make it more tricky scrambling though.
User avatar
Phil the Hill
Walker
 
Posts: 378
Munros:266   Corbetts:27
Grahams:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:12
Joined: Sep 22, 2010
Location: Wallington, Surrey

Re: Clag bagging

Postby CharlesT » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:21 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:An alternative would be to do the narrow ridges, because they're still interesting with no views.

For example, I did the Aonach Eagach in clag. The drops were less scary because you couldn't see them and navigation wasn't such a problem on a ridge (apart from remembering which top you were on and to take a compass bearing before leaving). It had the added bonus of not being busy - although it was in February with no snow. Rain might make it more tricky scrambling though.


Snap! Me too. Wet, greasy rock, no views and no-one else daft enough to be up there. We could start a group "Aonach Eagach in the clag baggers". What's not to enjoy. 🥴
User avatar
CharlesT
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 4253
Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
Location: West Oxfordshire

Re: Clag bagging

Postby nikcster » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:18 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:I'm not sure there are any Munros that I'd recommend "getting out the way". Assuming "less interesting terrain" means bog, peat hags and Landrover tracks, those hills will likely be more difficult in claggy and wet conditions due to reduced visibility and burns in spate.


Aye I didn't really mean "getting out of the way" to be negative. Just couldn't think of a better way to put it. I just meant that, for instance, if I was doing South Glen Shiel ridge I'd want clear skies, but if I was going to walk up Cairnwell or something I would be less bothered.
User avatar
nikcster
 
Posts: 49
Munros:46   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Joined: Mar 23, 2008

Re: Clag bagging

Postby nikcster » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:An alternative would be to do the narrow ridges, because they're still interesting with no views.

For example, I did the Aonach Eagach in clag. The drops were less scary because you couldn't see them and navigation wasn't such a problem on a ridge (apart from remembering which top you were on and to take a compass bearing before leaving). It had the added bonus of not being busy - although it was in February with no snow. Rain might make it more tricky scrambling though.


I think I'd find them more scary if anything!
User avatar
nikcster
 
Posts: 49
Munros:46   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Joined: Mar 23, 2008

Re: Clag bagging

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Not chonzie, despite it's lowly rating amongst many folks, I enjoy the all round vista from that big isolated top, and there's some nice walking in the hills over the other side of turret resr too.

Glenshee munros ain't the most inspiring, but tbh as I'm not munro obsessed, I just head for the Donalds and Grahams on such days.

It's all good.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Nov 10, 2020

Re: Clag bagging

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:48 pm

I have always liked the Cuillins on Skye when it is wet and claggy and slippy, it just knocks you out your comfort zone big time, preferably with a guide. The concentration needed to stay focused just drains you but i love it, it must have something to do with starting my hillwalking in the depths of winter many years ago.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Aug 2, 2014

Re: Clag bagging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:58 am

The Eastern Drumochter 3 are probably good clag bagging Munros, might still see hares and ptarmigans. They make good winter beginner hills too though. 8)
User avatar
WalkWithWallace
Backpacker
 
Posts: 570
Munros:282   Corbetts:135
Donalds:5
Islands:24
Joined: Jan 27, 2019
Location: www.youtube.com/c/walkwithwallace
Walk wish-list

Re: Clag bagging

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:41 am

nikcster wrote:
iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:I'm not sure there are any Munros that I'd recommend "getting out the way". Assuming "less interesting terrain" means bog, peat hags and Landrover tracks, those hills will likely be more difficult in claggy and wet conditions due to reduced visibility and burns in spate.


Aye I didn't really mean "getting out of the way" to be negative. Just couldn't think of a better way to put it. I just meant that, for instance, if I was doing South Glen Shiel ridge I'd want clear skies, but if I was going to walk up Cairnwell or something I would be less bothered.


Aye, fair enough. When I did the Munros there were hills I'd keep for deadcert good days, e.g. Beinn Alligin and An Teallach, but got clag that wasn't forecast.

:(

You definitely don't need to go out your way to get clag.

:lol:
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 325
Munros:47   Corbetts:162
Grahams:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: Jul 27, 2016
Location: Inverness

Re: Clag bagging

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:45 pm

Am Faochagach. I remember stomping up with head down, compass never out of my hand, thick clag down to the glen. Mild satisfaction at heading straight for the cairn without any casting about. On subsequently looking across to it on a clear day, thinking I hadn't missed much.
ChrisButch
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Apr 18, 2016

Re: Clag bagging

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:10 pm

ChrisButch wrote:Am Faochagach. I remember stomping up with head down, compass never out of my hand, thick clag down to the glen. Mild satisfaction at heading straight for the cairn without any casting about. On subsequently looking across to it on a clear day, thinking I hadn't missed much.

And it does sound as if it wants to be climbed in clag.
ChrisButch
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Apr 18, 2016




Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Paderlan, Skyelines and 10 guests