walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Feshie Parking

Glen Feshie Parking

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:05 pm

Looking for some help on Sgor Gaoith & Mullach Clach a' Bhlair from Glen Feshie. The WH guide says the car park is closed. I just wondered if this means that cars are totally out of the question or are there more parking alternatives?

I guess it would be too long to do the 2 Munros by bike on a day hike?

TIA

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/sgor-gaoith.shtml
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Re: Glen Feshie Parking

Postby al78 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:20 pm

I did those two munros after cycling to the Auchlean car park from Aviemore and cycling back again stopping for a drink at a hotel near Alvie en-route because I ran out of water on the last couple of miles, and I managed that comfortably in one day (had good weather), so it certainly was doable for me. Whether it is doable for you I don't know but I am not super-fit. It might be possible to park near Feshiebridge or Kincraig and cycle up the glen from there, which is an easy bike ride and it won't take long to get to the car park near Auchlean.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:12 am

I had a look and according to Cairngorm NP the car park is open just now, but closed from 3rd of August according to Forestry. :roll:

No word of the road being closed so just drive up and have a look. There are other options but they are all further away. As already suggested the bike is a good option.
There is parking at Feshie Bridge and near the airstrip for the gliders but I would think you would get somewhere closer depending on what the Forestry are actually doing.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby neilmcaleece » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:12 am

Hi, I was there last Wednesday,, the road was open and the parking was all fine
neilmcaleece
Hill Bagger

Munros:96   
Hewitts:127
Wainwrights:114   

Postby al78 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:48 am

Sunset tripper wrote:I had a look and according to Cairngorm NP the car park is open just now, but closed from 3rd of August according to Forestry. :roll:

No word of the road being closed so just drive up and have a look. There are other options but they are all further away. As already suggested the bike is a good option.
There is parking at Feshie Bridge and near the airstrip for the gliders but I would think you would get somewhere closer depending on what the Forestry are actually doing.

All the best. :D

That is always a good idea, drive up and have a look. The worst that can happen is you lose a bit of time driving back, parking somewhere near Feshiebridge and cycling back up the glen.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby snowen » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:18 am

The closure seems to be the parking area at Allt Ruadh not the carpark at Achlean. If you want to climb both munros then Achlean would be a better start point anyway. Follow the WH route for Mullach Clach a Bhlair, then the tracks north to Carn Ban Mor and Sgor Gaoith and back down to Achlean.
snowen
Munro compleatist

Munros:178   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:40+15
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:7

Postby RogartRambler » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:02 pm

Happened to be up there today. Passed the parking area for Sgor Gaoith in the morning and cars parked. On my return in the afternoon some cones and signs were across the entrance advising parking area closed - guess they were then just waiting for the cars to empty. I'd go with the suggestion above.
RogartRambler
Mountain Walker

Munros:254   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:23

Postby gaffr » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:13 pm

Passed that way on my velo today. Work on-going to create some more parking spaces?
Anyway our friends from South of the border were insisting on parked opposite the entrance to the blocked off parking area and making life difficult for everyone. And this despite heaps of parking off road in both directions maybe around a couple of hundred metres away.; :shock:
DSC_0943.jpg
The Allt Ruadh parking.

Maybe observing the guide book start/parking area. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby ScotFinn65 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll go for the carpark further up and try the 2 Munros.

Hopefully the restrictions will be over soon without further actions because of those parking inconsiderately.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby gld73 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:01 pm

The Auchlean car park was fine when I was there a few days ago - it also has the benefit of being a "no overnight campervans / motorhomes" car park, so walkers arriving in cars can get parked :D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby gaffr » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:09 pm

Came down through the Allt Ruadh parking area this afternoon.
Closed until Spring 2022....up till then it will be used by Forestry trucks to take away extracted timber. No problem for access on foot.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion