walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Ey 5, or 3 then 2 next day ?

Glen Ey 5, or 3 then 2 next day ?

Postby Kenny Raeside » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:32 am

Planning on doing Carn Bhac - Beinn Lutham Mhor - Carn an Righ - Glas Tulaichean - An Socach tomorrow.
What are your thoughts on whether to do the 5 as a loop from Glen Ey, or approach Carn an Righ and Glas Tulaichean the following day from the south via Gleann Taitneach ?
I’ll be using my Mtb on the approaches.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Re: Glen Ey 5, or 3 then 2 next day ?

Postby al78 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:44 am

I'm thinking of staying in Braemar for a week next summer to do these hills, and my thought is doing the whole round might be too much for one day. I'd be tempted to do Glas Tulaichean and Carn an Righ from Spittal of Glenshee. The whole round is 40 km of which 16 km is the cycle there and back up glen Ey, with 2000m ascent, 10-16 hours according to my Munros book, only you know if that is feasible for an August day. Personally I'm not enthused about mega-days out on the hills, there is too much risk of it turning into a race against time combined with high fatigue, which destroys any enjoyment. Better to do an easier round and savour the environment.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby snowen » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:57 am

It depends how fit you are, I suppose. I did all 5 a few years ago but it was a long day :

- cycled up Glen Ey to Altanour Lodge
- up An Socach and down to Loch nan Eun
- up and down Glas Tulaichean
- up and down Carn an Righ
- up and over Beinn Iutharn Mhor
- up Carn Bhac
- back down to Altnatour Lodge and cycle out.

Total of 18km cycle and 30km walk.

If you're up for it it's well worth the effort.
snowen
Munro compleatist

Munros:178   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:40+15
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:7

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:35 am

I done Carn Bhac - Beinn Lutham Mhor - Carn an Righ from Glen Tilt as a overnight camp.
I would break them down as 2 separate walks if not camping, never found time watching a good thing as i like to enjoy my day and take the scenery etc in.
You can also do some of them from Glen Fearnach which has a cracking track for cycling but longer.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Kenny Raeside » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:46 pm

Cheers .
I think I’ll keep my options open and take the tent etc with me, I’ll set off to do Carn Bhac - Beinn Lutham Mhor - An Socach, if I’m having a good day and fancy doing the 5 I’ll do the other 2 and camp at loch Nan Eun before doing An Socach the following day 🤔
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Postby mamoset » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:44 am

Hi,
I did the 5 in a day, see my walk below. Worst part was the long walk to An Socach, but overall an enjoyable day.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63630

Chris
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby jayforres » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:30 am

If you're reasonably fit the round of 5 is quite doable in a day from Inverey with mtb to Altanour - walk report from a month ago (on a very hot day) here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=106760
Have fun!
jayforres
Walker

Munros:238   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:10   Islands:16

Postby Kenny Raeside » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:45 pm

Completed the round this morning after an over night camp at Loch Nan Eun.
I had a senior moment leaving Altanour ruin and was thinking Beinn Lutharn Mhor was my first of the day, it was only after some time I got the map out I then realised it was Carn Bhac I should have been heading for. A bit of a detour soon got me on the right bearing.
Note to self “ take route pointers in future”.
The route I took was largely devoid of any paths. Scree, heather and peat hags were the order of the day.
Decided to setup camp after Glas Tulaichean prior to An Socach and tackle it the following morning.
All in all a nice couple of days.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion