walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Am I experienced enough for Buachaille Etive Mor?

Am I experienced enough for Buachaille Etive Mor?

Postby CasaDisco » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:45 pm

HI. This is my first post on here.

I'm heading up to Scotland in the first week in Sept. First few days are in Glen Coe. A friend has recommended some walks in the area, including Etive Mor. Having looked at photos, route descriptions etc I'm a little worried it might be a bit full on for someone of my experience!

I do most of my walking in the Yorkshire Dales (I'm ticking off the Dales 30, the fells over 2,000ft) and have also been out in the Lakes with a friend – Red Pike, Robinson, Dale Head, High Stile, Whiteside etc

Etive Mor looks like a monster compared to the fells I've been over. I know the Lakeland fells have steep ascents with some scrambling and ridge walking but I'm now worried. Not about my fitness but more my technical abilities and the fact that I can suffer from vertigo if the ridges are very narrow and there are sheer drops!

As I'm travelling on my own I don't want to attempt a walk and end up in trouble.

So any reassurance or alternative routes/walks would be much appreciated.
CasaDisco
Mountain Walker

Re: Am I experienced enough for Buachaille Etive Mor?

Postby LobeyD » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:13 pm

Etive Beag is definitely easier if your looking for another option in the area. The two main access routes to Etive Mor each have one small section of very minor scrambling and are generally quite rough but with no real difficulties. There will be plenty of folk up there most days so you can follow folk and maybe get a bit of help as required.

The Ballachulish Horseshoe is another good option just along the glen with no difficulties via the main route.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:14 pm

Welcome to WH!

Buachaille Etive Mor is not too much of a monster, especially if you just go up Stob Dearg and back down the same way - the start point is relatively high (about 250m). The main difficulty is some steep loose scree at the head of Coire na Tulaich.
Buachaille Etive Beag https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/buachailleetivebeag.shtml is a somewhat easier day out (as mentioned above), and maybe the best introduction to the Glen Coe hills. You can omit the second summit (Stob Coire Raineach) if desired.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby KatTai » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:58 pm

I 3rd going for Buchaillie Etvie Beag as an alternative, if you are having doubts then I'd say going for an alternative may be the better option and see how you get on with that.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby CasaDisco » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for the replies.

Buchaillie Etvie Beag sounds like an excellent first introduction to the Glen Coe Munroes!

I will do this on the Saturday and then maybe the Pap of Glencoe the next morning before I head off to Speyside. All dependent on weather of course!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall in love with the area so I can come back to attempt Etive Mor etc
CasaDisco
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Parked in the car park for Bucahille Etive Mhor and 2 Glasow taxi drivers were discussing whether or not to do it..they had done 10 Munros. When I set off, I heard them say "If she can do it, we can." (Then 63 year old woman). They managed it with no problems. However, as others say Beag is more suited to those with less experience and has great views.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:36 pm

Sgurr wrote:Parked in the car park for Bucahille Etive Mhor and 2 Glasow taxi drivers were discussing whether or not to do it..they had done 10 Munros. When I set off, I heard them say "If she can do it, we can." (Then 63 year old woman). They managed it with no problems. However, as others say Beag is more suited to those with less experience and has great views.

Did they take the scenic route? :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:11 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Parked in the car park for Bucahille Etive Mhor and 2 Glasow taxi drivers were discussing whether or not to do it..they had done 10 Munros. When I set off, I heard them say "If she can do it, we can." (Then 63 year old woman). They managed it with no problems. However, as others say Beag is more suited to those with less experience and has great views.

Nobody was paying, so no, not on this occasion. I used to enjoy it when I could leave much younger people standing....but it happens no more.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:48 am

Sgurr wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:

Nobody was paying, so no, not on this occasion. I used to enjoy it when I could leave much younger people standing....but it happens no more.

I've read a lot of your stuff on here and on Scottish Hills and I reckon you probably still leave a few folk in yer wake. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:01 am

Nope. Went to climb Ben Chonzie in June on the grounds that since husband can't walk any more it would set his mind at rest if there were lots of people. There were, and thirteen sets of them overtook me.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Veryhappybunny » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:36 pm

Sounds a good plan to start with the Beag.

I don’t have a great head for heights, but, having been up the big buachaille three times I think it looks a lot worse from the road than when you are going up it.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion