walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mugdock Country Park access.

Mugdock Country Park access.

Postby Navvarr » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:13 pm

I was up at Mugdock Country park this afternoon, started my walk around Milndavie along to Boards Farm, from the Riding School.

I decided to cut up to The Visitor Centre past Dumbrock Loch, it's a walk I've done hundreds of times in too many years to mention.

Upon reaching the road next to the Visitors Centre Carpark next to the pylon where there are usually gates I found locked gates and notices informing me that this area that I'd just walked through was not part of Mugdock Country Park but actually farm land, owned by 'The Estate'. Very much the 'Get orf my laaaand' type of notice.

Which 'Estate' actually own Mugdock?

Thoughts on this? Anyone got any info on why an area that most people would refer to as Mugdock is now being closed off to access- well attempted to be closed off to access.

I'm guessing that we have a right of access to walking this area since It's well used, full of paths and has been for as long as I've lived in the area.
Navvarr
Munro compleatist

Munros:75   Corbetts:7

Re: Mugdock Country Park access.

Postby BigTed » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:20 pm

Haven't heard this before and I live locally. Change of ownership? Problems with litter vandalism in this hot summer we have had?

In any case being estate land does not supercede access laws. I'll be up there with the dogs for a walk tomorrow.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:15 am

A case for the local Access Officer.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:37 am

Someone is at it, as Marty says, LA officer for sure.

I contacted North Ayrshire about a 'No access to mountain bikers' sign at a fishery, the idiot that put it up didn't realise theres a core path running right past his water.

Sign now removed, and I pedal past at every opportunity now.

Well done the cooncil.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby LobeyD » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:43 am

My sister is a wild swimmer and has said that the small lochs that side of the Mugdock road are best avoided during the summer as they are mobbed. I've cycled past a couple of times on nice evenings this summer with 30-40 young folk emerging from that side. I guess the farmer has got a bit fed up with that.

While blocking access due to very rare, imagined or simply contrived 'issues' by landowners is becoming a real problem. I have a smidge (but only a smidge) of sympathy for the farmer in this case, particularly if only blocked from the road side and not from the 'pylons' or Boards Farm side.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BigTed » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:28 am

Dumbrock Loch AKA Abies has been a popular swimming spot since at least the 1970s. So while I can sympathise if this summer has attracted a worse than usual crowd the ban hammer isn't the answer.

Not new having problems. 2011 litter and vandalism in this newsletter. More policing a better answer than illegal bans.

http://www.strathblanefield.org.uk/theblane/Blane%20June%2011.pdf
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby BigTed » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:43 am

[quote="Navvarr"]Which 'Estate' actually own Mugdock?

/[quote]

The park is owned by Stirling Council and managed along with East Dumbartonshire Council. The land in question is, I think, owned by Craigend Farm.

Craigend Farm
Old Mugdock Road
Strathblane
By Glasgow
Scotland
G63 9ET
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby EmilyD » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:56 pm

I have a horse at Easterton (the stables nearest to the East carpark) and rode that route about a month ago (we went down the road to the Milndavie Riding School, picked up the track that goes past it, then went up through the fields towards Dumbrock and Visitor Centre). We had no trouble with locked gates. From the main road side, you can access the loch by going through the little gate that's across the road from the visitor's centre. Is that the one that's now locked with the sign? Further down the road from that, there's a locked five-bar gate, but that one is always locked.

There were definitely people partying at Dumbrock Loch last week. I was on an inexperienced horse, so I gave it a wide berth and didn't cross the road towards that gate, but it was plain that's what was happening.
EmilyD
Stravaiging

Munros:251   Corbetts:42
Donalds:6

Postby Navvarr » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:53 pm

Yes, that's the gate that is now locked. You can access it from the Boards Farm path, ie the other end but wouldn't be able to get through that fence on horseback. I just climbed over it.
Unless of course your horse can jump!
Perhaps Easterton folks might also be interested in getting involved in this development.
Navvarr
Munro compleatist

Munros:75   Corbetts:7

Postby BigTed » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:51 pm

This appears to have been resolved. Up there today with the dogs. The pedestrian gate was open though there was a new looking chain and padlock still on the adjacent post.

The five bar main gate had a notice advising people that the land was not part of the park. Seems reasonable warning people that they may come across livestock. Not so sure about the "bull in field" signs at either side of the field. No sign of any bull. Should a bull be loose in a field with busy footpaths through it?

The Stirling Council access team have a notice up telling people to keep dogs on leads. Largely ignored as far as I could see.

A few people at the loch and a few dog walkers. Blue skies, sunshine, happy days.

fivebargate.JPG

smallgate.JPG

accessteam.JPG
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:58 pm

BigTed wrote: Should a bull be loose in a field with busy footpaths through it?

I would imagine it's perfectly legal, assuming it's the farmer's land. Anyone wanting to walk through it does so at their own risk.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby BigTed » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:06 pm

jupe1407 wrote:
BigTed wrote: Should a bull be loose in a field with busy footpaths through it?

I would imagine it's perfectly legal, assuming it's the farmer's land. Anyone wanting to walk through it does so at their own risk.

Perhaps not.

"Bulls of recognised dairy breeds (eg Ayrshire, ■■
Friesian, Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) are in all circumstances banned from being at large in fields or enclosures crossed by public rights of way. Do not keep them in fields with public rights of way, statutory or other types of permitted access including core paths. Deliberately placing an animal or animals known to be aggressive in order to deter access is likely to be regarded as obstruction and the local authority could take action."

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais17s.pdf
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:18 pm

I'm far wearier of cows than bulls tbh, especially in the presence of calves.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:40 am

It does appear to be a core path: https://stirling.gov.uk/media/5536/map-b08.pdf
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby EmilyD » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:08 pm

I've seen the 'bull in field' signs but they were on an adjacent field, where you didn't need to go in order to walk from the Visitor's Centre to the loch. Are they on the field with the path now?

Often, there are Highland cattle in the fields that you do pass through. My previous horse had a deep and abiding fear of cows, so I only took her that way when I could be sure that the cows were elsewhere. I imagine the cows themselves are pretty placid, since they see a lot of walkers, mountain bikers, etc.

If access is being blocked, the British Horse Society has access officers, and they're probably the people for riders to contact. I'll keep an eye on that gate.
EmilyD
Stravaiging

Munros:251   Corbetts:42
Donalds:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion