walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

A visit to the Slate Islands.

A visit to the Slate Islands.

Postby gaffr » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:07 pm

My daughter took my wife and I to the islands for a three day biking/camping trip. Beginning with the Seil island and down to a ferry to reach Luing where we had a camp at Black Mill Bay. On the way back to the ferry on the following day a wee trip down to Toberonochy where we had a lesson in successful vegetable gardening from a gentleman living there in retirement and with his precious boat on a mooring within sight of his house. A further trip West to reach Cullipool on West coast and the wee trig point at 94 metres above the village. Well worthwhile having a bowl of soup in the cafe come visitor centre in the village. Back to the ferry to return onto Seil island and down to Easdale on the West coast where the slate industry must have been very big....around fifty wee slate houses (all now rendered and whitened) on the island. Along to near Clachan bridge to then get down to our second overnight camp above the Puilladobhrain Anchorage to meet some of the Boat folks stretching their legs on land.
Along to get onto the ferry for Kerrera island to cycle out to the ancient Gylen Castle perched on conglomerate rocks above the sea. At the Lower Gylen wee house we enjoyed another bowl of excellent soup. I don't eat out much but both soups that we had during our journey were much better than any that I have had in a restaurant. All of the islands visited surprisingly to me all had 15% hill/ramps to get up on the old bike something that I was not quite expecting.
Back to the ferry for the drive back home via Oban and Fort William.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: A visit to the Slate Islands.

Postby tigerburnie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:40 pm

Nice read, a long time since I have been over to Seil and the others, maybe I should plan a trip.
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion