walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bothies and hills during Stalking

Bothies and hills during Stalking

Postby Coulags » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:35 pm

I enquired today about using a bothy and climbing some hills in the area as the bothy may be unavailable during stalking .
The estate were friendly and I was given the go ahead . It was almost as though they weren’t used to people asking for permission .
A few years back I visited a stalkers home in Ardgour to ask about their plans for the day . He said I was the first walker to ever approach him in this way .

I wonder do others phone the estates ? I really can’t imagine many of the CWT hordes do .
Coulags
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:155   Donalds:7
Islands:28

Re: Bothies and hills during Stalking

Postby simon-b » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:24 am

Hi Coulags.

I rang the Alder estate in 2015 and the Glecalvie estate in 2017. Both were pleasant and helpful. No issues the day I walked in Glencalvie. The Alder estate said there might be stalking where I was walking, but all I had to do, at their suggestion, was reverse my circular route, which would time things better to avoid a clash.

For some stories of rather different experiences, just read the Stalking in Glen Lyon thread on this board!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby kaye.cantlay » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:29 am

I've contacted a few when I've been able to find the appropriate email or phone number.
I've usually been told it will be absolutely fine and thanked for letting them know I'd be there.
I was once advised to slightly alter my intended route to avoid a particular ridge.
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby gaffr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:06 am

Only once had to alter plans for a day out on Sgorr na Diollaid when a notice at the roadside asked me to check at the Stalkers house close bye. On that day I had to go to another hill ......plenty to choose from above the nearby dam.
Notices on gates with phone numbers to check for shooting days.... I used to get a wee booklet with phone numbers for estates to check for shooting days.
No problems on Sundays when all the shooting folks attend church. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:23 am

The MBA notes all closures of their bothies for stalking on their website https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/
There is stalking information and contact details for a lot of estates on here: https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/heading-scottish-hills though the coverage could always be better.

The best experience I've had was in Knoydart - as requested, we called in at the estate office in Inverie first thing in the morning to enquire about stalking on Ladhar Bheinn. The lady in the office said she hadn't seen the stalker that morning, and could we wait a few minutes. She duly reappeared to say that the stalker had "had a heavy night in the Old Forge" and was still in his bed. If we told her where we were going, she would make sure the stalker went somewhere else!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby simon-b » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:45 am

jmarkb wrote:The best experience I've had was in Knoydart - as requested, we called in at the estate office in Inverie first thing in the morning to enquire about stalking on Ladhar Bheinn. The lady in the office said she hadn't seen the stalker that morning, and could we wait a few minutes. She duly reappeared to say that the stalker had "had a heavy night in the Old Forge" and was still in his bed. If we told her where we were going, she would make sure the stalker went somewhere else!

I'd imagine you'd want to keep clear of a stalker who was hungover in charge of a gun anyway!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:39 am

simon-b wrote:I'd imagine you'd want to keep clear of a stalker who was hungover in charge of a gun anyway!

:lol:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Alex W » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:00 am

jmarkb wrote:The MBA notes all closures of their bothies for stalking on their website https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/
There is stalking information and contact details for a lot of estates on here: https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/heading-scottish-hills though the coverage could always be better.

The best experience I've had was in Knoydart - as requested, we called in at the estate office in Inverie first thing in the morning to enquire about stalking on Ladhar Bheinn. The lady in the office said she hadn't seen the stalker that morning, and could we wait a few minutes. She duly reappeared to say that the stalker had "had a heavy night in the Old Forge" and was still in his bed. If we told her where we were going, she would make sure the stalker went somewhere else!

Was that a few years ago? I can't imagine anyone local in Inverie having a heavy night in that pub with the oaf of an owner who is there now, but hopefully for not much longer.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:214   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:27 am

Alex W wrote:Was that a few years ago?

Yeah, around 2000 sometime.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:43 pm

I was in the Forge one afternoon and the stalker came in and handed his rifle over the bar to the publican when ordering, whom duly disappeared to put it in his gun cabinet with the agreement the stalker wouldn’t get in back till the next day.

So not only would the stalker have to recover from his night, he potentially might have had to wait for the pub to open to get his gun back!
Scraggygoat

Postby KatTai » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:33 pm

I've phoned a couple but the information was provided in an answering machine message rather than speaking to an actual person, normally though I just choose routes that aren't going to be an issue from the WH stalking information on the route descriptions.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby denfinella » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:22 pm

KatTai wrote:I've phoned a couple but the information was provided in an answering machine message rather than speaking to an actual person, normally though I just choose routes that aren't going to be an issue from the WH stalking information on the route descriptions.

Same for me (both parts). Or aim for National Trust / John Muir Trust land.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby empid » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:58 pm

On this subject, I'm just wondering how diligent others are (and I should be) in sticking to the main paths and ridges during this stalking period, "just in case". Examples like the shortcut below Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan to reach Mullach na Dheiragain. The estate says the ridges are always ok but obviously this route in the pic cuts across a remote corrie. Should I be trying to discuss this with the estate or would you just do it and hope its ok? Am I over thinking this??
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
empid
Walker

Munros:249   Corbetts:37
Fionas:16   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:2   Islands:30

Postby simon-b » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:43 pm

empid wrote:On this subject, I'm just wondering how diligent others are (and I should be) in sticking to the main paths and ridges during this stalking period, "just in case". Examples like the shortcut below Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan to reach Mullach na Dheiragain. The estate says the ridges are always ok but obviously this route in the pic cuts across a remote corrie. Should I be trying to discuss this with the estate or would you just do it and hope its ok? Am I over thinking this??

There's nothing wrong with ringing the estate to make sure. That wouldn't be overthinking, just a sensible bit of reassurance.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:44 pm

Yes, I've emailed and/or phoned quite a few over the years. Generally they've been fine although once the Achnashellach estate asked me to alter my plans for Sgurr na Feartaig and go via Bealach Bhearnais rather than take the more direct route as they were stalking in that area. Easy enough change for me to make. Sometimes I've found it difficult getting contact details. Sometimes I contacted one estate and they told me that part of my route was in the neighbouring estate but they helpfully gave me the neighbouring estate's contact details. Still it's worth making the effort to try to contact them.
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion