walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

FYI

FYI

Postby teaandpies » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:49 pm

Sorry if this has been posted already but I was up Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean) today and there's a shiny new deer fence with no way (as of yet) to cross it in a civilised manner and planting that seems to under way within it.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210904-223231_Chrome~2.jpg
Roughly where the fence is
20210904_124453~2.jpg
Roughly where the fence runs
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: FYI

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:38 am

I was up there around 6 weeks ago when the fence was getting built. I was only on the 2 munros but a slightly different route from the WH one. Coming off Beinn Teallach there was a gap in the new fence.
I spoke to one of the guys building the deer fence, which at that time was going right up the side of Beinn a Chaorainn but probably hadn't quite reached where you have marked it on the map. I asked him where the fence was going and he said it was going straight over the hill. He said it was a conservation thing similar to what has been done at Creag Meagaidh with a natural woodland and reckoned there would be gates going in if it was a popular route. Maybe you missed them or maybe they didn't go in.

I noticed a lot of the forestry stuff from last time I was there was felled but possibly unrelated.

I didn't get the vibe that they were trying to stop walkers - which is going to be impossible on munros anyway. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby teaandpies » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:16 am

Sunset tripper wrote:I was up there around 6 weeks ago when the fence was getting built. I was only on the 2 munros but a slightly different route from the WH one. Coming off Beinn Teallach there was a gap in the new fence.
I spoke to one of the guys building the deer fence, which at that time was going right up the side of Beinn a Chaorainn but probably hadn't quite reached where you have marked it on the map. I asked him where the fence was going and he said it was going straight over the hill. He said it was a conservation thing similar to what has been done at Creag Meagaidh with a natural woodland and reckoned there would be gates going in if it was a popular route. Maybe you missed them or maybe they didn't go in.

I noticed a lot of the forestry stuff from last time I was there was felled but possibly unrelated.

I didn't get the vibe that they were trying to stop walkers - which is going to be impossible on munros anyway. :D

Hi

There's definitely a gap in the fence when we came off the lower Munro close to the corner of the existing plantation (or what's left of it) but there's nothing like that where I've drawn the wee lines.

I don't think they are trying to stop walkers either and I'm pretty sure they don't check the walkhighlands route maps before building fences but I think they'll have to put a crossing in there at some point...I'm heavy and that's the fence already a tiny bit damaged from me crossing it :(
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:03 am

If there's no gate or stile itll end up broken like the one on Beinn Bhreac Liath/Beinn Udlaih with hikers using the bracing as a stile.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby davemorrissey » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:22 am

There's no trace of a path for most of the route as far as I could tell, so they wouldn't know where to put a gate without referring to the GPX route here. Perhaps they have put one somewhere. The land register says it's the Tulloch estate but I can find no trace of any contact details for it.
davemorrissey

Munros:82   Corbetts:12
Fionas:11   Donalds:37+18
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:24
Islands:19

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:45 am

There's a gap in the fence (presumably gate planned) around 200m west of where the walkhighlands gpx went up; I've moved the route though may not be 100% accurate at the moment as not been to the gap myself - I'm told it's by the little ring contour at 670m. I've also just heard they are going to put more stiles in - e.g. at the other point - as well.

If anyone walks up this way it would be great if you could record a gpx track and get in touch; thanks.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion