walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

A9

Re: A9

Postby denfinella » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Tringa wrote:If I had to drive from Aberdeen to Inverness again I'd do what I did last time and go via Lecht - a quicker road and much more pleasant a drive.

I'm getting a bit off topic now, but I'd also recommend going Aberdeen - Huntly - Dufftown - Grantown - Carrbridge - Inverness. Makes use of the faster part of the A96 and then diverts through Speyside. I typically used to find it marginally quicker then using the A96 for the whole way.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby litljortindan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:45 pm

denfinella wrote:
Tringa wrote:If I had to drive from Aberdeen to Inverness again I'd do what I did last time and go via Lecht - a quicker road and much more pleasant a drive.

I'm getting a bit off topic now, but I'd also recommend going Aberdeen - Huntly - Dufftown - Grantown - Carrbridge - Inverness. Makes use of the faster part of the A96 and then diverts through Speyside. I typically used to find it marginally quicker then using the A96 for the whole way.

I see that also avoids Elgin, an occasional bastion of congested traffic.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:57 pm

To get the A9 completed on time and under budget they could always put a toll on it. Especially for hillwalkers who are already spending a fortune on cars, fuel, gear, beer and accommodation. Surely another £5 or £10 is insignificant, and you get a decent road to whisk you to the hills more quickly and safely. :wink:
Sunset tripper

Postby al78 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:07 am

Question is why are improvements to that road taking so long? Are they employing contractors from SE England?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:40 am

litljortindan wrote:
denfinella wrote:

I see that also avoids Elgin, an occasional bastion of congested traffic.

The A9 was supposed to be finished 2025 and has been extended to 2030, the A96 is supposed to be duelled by 2030 i would not hold my breath on this happening the way things are going.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby CharlesT » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:18 am

al78 wrote:Question is why are improvements to that road taking so long? Are they employing contractors from SE England?

Balfour Beatty if you're interested.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby al78 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:05 am

CharlesT wrote:
al78 wrote:Question is why are improvements to that road taking so long? Are they employing contractors from SE England?

Balfour Beatty if you're interested.

It was a rhetorical question. Roadworks around Sussex and Surrey regularly seem to take forever (and look at how long they have been installing a smart motorway on the M6 with speed restrictions), so was half-heartedly wondering if the same trundlebunnies were working on the A9.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:43 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they did pull the plug on the A9 dualling. I'd much rather see the A82 Inverness to Fort William overhauled, though not sure what can really be done with it given the terrain. I believe it's now statistically the deadliest road in Scotland.

Yes indeed, the A82 is a road I use often, travelling from Inverness. Unless I am leaving before 6AM I use the road on the southside of Loch Ness which is very quiet and has several long straights if you do need to pass something. You can miss out Fort Augustus completely also. The last few times I have been down that way, which has been quite recently, Fort William has become a real bottle neck, on one occasion the traffic queueing well out of town to the north.

Cant see much being done about that in the near future though. :(
Sunset tripper

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:58 am

Great news Martin. Thanks for that update... :clap: I'm heading up that way tomorrow to finish off my Cairngorm Munros. :D

I would echo what others have said about the A96 between Aberdeen and Inverness. Its obscenely overlooked in terms of traffic safety and - for decades now - has been in need of attention in particular stretches.

Also, as another poster has said here, I'd be interested to see what impact the Greens have in Govt. They're dead agin increasing roads capacity of course. But - speaking purely personally - their policies appear great in theory, but are pie-in-the-sky stuff in reality. Shame the A9 duelling wasn't completed before they got their feet under the table at VQ. :roll:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they did pull the plug on the A9 dualling. I'd much rather see the A82 Inverness to Fort William overhauled, though not sure what can really be done with it given the terrain. I believe it's now statistically the deadliest road in Scotland.

Yes indeed, the A82 is a road I use often, travelling from Inverness. Unless I am leaving before 6AM I use the road on the southside of Loch Ness which is very quiet and has several long straights if you do need to pass something. You can miss out Fort Augustus completely also. The last few times I have been down that way, which has been quite recently, Fort William has become a real bottle neck, on one occasion the traffic queueing well out of town to the north.

Cant see much being done about that in the near future though. :(

Yeah, I've started using the road on the east side of Loch Ness more now too. It's really not as bad as I thought it was the first few times I did it but I don't think I'd go near it in winter.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion