walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Corrour - Fort William via Grey Corries or Mamores?

Corrour - Fort William via Grey Corries or Mamores?

Postby neil_johns » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:20 pm

Hello,

I am planning on arriving at Corrour Station at 0830 and walking back to FW with one night camping en route.

I really want to try and do lots of Munros in this time.

What way is best, going north of Glen Nevis and tackling the Grey Corries or staying South and going via the Mamore Ridge?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers!
neil_johns
Mountaineer

Re: Corrour - Fort William via Grey Corries or Mamores?

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:52 pm

Both routes are top quality ridge walking, with some steep ground and easy (Grade 1) scrambling. Perhaps surprisingly, the Mamores route is a bit longer (an extra 10km and 500m of ascent, roughly), but that is partly because it involves some backtracking to include all the Munros. If the rivers are in spate, there is a potentially difficult crossing at Luibeilt on the Mamores route (though it would be possible to divert onto the Grey Corries from there).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:42 am

We got the train to Corrour, done Stob Ban and then stayed at Meanach Bothy for the night. Instead you could camp below Stob Ban at the small lochan at NN 264 729 then push on and do the Grey Corries or if you're feeling fit and have time to push on, then the Munro top, Sgurr Choinnich Beag is nice and grassy for a summit camp, then drop into Glen Nevis in the morning and back out to Fort William. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:45 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:We got the train to Corrour, done Stob Ban and then stayed at Meanach Bothy for the night. Instead you could camp below Stob Ban at the small lochan at NN 264 729 then push on and do the Grey Corries or if you're feeling fit and have time to push on, then the Munro top, Sgurr Choinnich Beag is nice and grassy for a summit camp, then drop into Glen Nevis in the morning and back out to Fort William. 8)

Is it possible to carry on along the ridge to the Aonachs, Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis without hitting anything technical scrambling-wise?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:13 pm

A dodgy bit getting on to Aonach Beag which would require good route finding as well.
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:14 pm

al78 wrote:Is it possible to carry on along the ridge to the Aonachs, Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis without hitting anything technical scrambling-wise?

There is some steep ground (with some easy scrambling, and possible route finding problems in poor vis) to get onto Aonach Beag, a steep and awkward descent off Aonach Mor, and then of course the CMD arete. There is a useful description here: https://stevenfallon.co.uk/nevisroute.html
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby al78 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:14 pm

jmarkb wrote:
al78 wrote:Is it possible to carry on along the ridge to the Aonachs, Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis without hitting anything technical scrambling-wise?

There is some steep ground (with some easy scrambling, and possible route finding problems in poor vis) to get onto Aonach Beag, a steep and awkward descent off Aonach Mor, and then of course the CMD arete. There is a useful description here: https://stevenfallon.co.uk/nevisroute.html

Thanks. If I had much better hill fitness, I would like to go to Fort William, do the Mamores traverse over a couple of days, camp somewhere in upper glen Nevis, then do the Lochaber traverse over a couple of days finishing on Ben Nevis. That would be a lot of Munros bagged in a little under a week.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:25 pm

al78 wrote:
Thanks. If I had much better hill fitness, I would like to go to Fort William, do the Mamores traverse over a couple of days, camp somewhere in upper glen Nevis, then do the Lochaber traverse over a couple of days finishing on Ben Nevis. That would be a lot of Munros bagged in a little under a week.

Al, you have so many options in that area you can adapt it to suit yourself. You could leave out some of the Mamores or the Grey Corries and the Aonachs. I would recommend not missing out the walk in through the Nevis Gorge or the CMD arete though. Join up some of the WH routes or make up your own. This is a fine route (roughly drawn) which could be easily shortened or extended. Still very tough going though.
All the best. :D

New_Route (32).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunset tripper

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:18 am

It is yes, there's a steep but mostly grassy ramp just north of the Munro top, Sgurr 'a Bhuic. Extract from my blog:

The route up Aonach Beag isn’t obvious, Stephen had his eye on a gully with an overhanging rock, but I knew that wasn’t a good idea. I remembered the descent route from a previous wild camp on Aonach Mor and opted for a steep but mostly grassy ascent avoiding any difficulties, we topped out between Sgurr a-Bhuic and Stob Coire Bhealaich.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion