walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Borders Abbeys Way

Borders Abbeys Way

Postby AZAndi » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Hi all. I will be walking the Borders Abbeys Way in a few weeks. I was wondering if there is a leg that is more or less scenic for walking? Just in case of time (or other considerations), I need to take a bus between two of the stops. Thanks!.
AZAndi
Rambler

Re: Borders Abbeys Way

Postby weedavie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:46 am

I don't know of anyone who's done this walk. I've done various bits of it and it's an education in how some nearby parts of the country remain mysteries. I wouldn't say anything's essential (except presumably visiting the abbeys.) The most dispensable sector I'd have thought, is Melrose to Selkirk. One thing is that, unlike most of Scotland, your horizons are very limited for the greatest part of the walk, so I'd say it's essential to climb the Eildons in passing, just to look round and see where you've been.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby AZAndi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:11 pm

Thank you so much for your response, weedavie!!
AZAndi
Rambler

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:14 pm

Hi

I did the Borders Abbey Way/St Cuthberts Way combo in 2018.

My schedule for the BAW (which I did first) was as follows;

Day 1

Melrose - Kelso

Miles 19.6
Ascent Feet 1473
Moving Average 3.2mph
Overall Average 2.9mph

Day 2

Kelso - Denholm

Miles 21.7
Ascent Feet 2303
Moving Average 3.0mph
Overall Average 2.8mph

Day 3

Denholm - Selkirk

Miles 19.3
Ascent Feet 2438
Moving Average 3.1mph
Overall Average 2.8mph

Day 4

Selkirk - Melrose

Miles 11.9
Ascent Feet 1386
Moving Average 2.9mph
Overall Average 2.6mph

Looking back, I had the worst experience I have ever had on any walk when I was mobbed by a herd of cows as I headed through a field (last field before entering Selkirk). I had to try and face down several charges with one cow in particular appearing to tbe the most agitated and trying to drive at me from behind. I'm not scared of cows but it was something I would never want to go through again. Don't let that put you off - they will be long gone by now!!

I've had a look through my notes and no day stood out (well one did but not for the right reasons) as being any better than the others. I seem to have enjoyed them all without any days being in any way outstanding. I remember enjoying the St Cuthbert's Way far more than the Borders Abbey Way but not every walk has to be brilliant - it's just nice to get out and experience some of these routes.

Hope you enjoy it and I haven't put you off.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby AZAndi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:23 pm

@Gordie12 - thank you for this!

You have not put me off at all. I am planning to break it up into smaller sections and I've got some extra days scheduled in Kelso and Hawick. Just looking forward to getting out and, most importantly, away from work!
AZAndi
Rambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion