walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Postby petectid » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:18 pm

My wife just pointed out this damming review of the Ben on Tripadvior

A3074F7A-6CAF-42F0-AF2B-3604CE9B6A4D.jpeg
petectid
Munro compleatist

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:58   Islands:4

Re: Ben Nevis

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:24 pm

I think this review has been posted on Walkhighlands before. The one thing that stands out is that it's dated October 19 and not April 1.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby al78 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:38 pm

That looks like a joke review but I can imagine there exist people who would expect a tourist mountain like Ben Nevis to be like Snowdon.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:02 pm

al78 wrote:That looks like a joke review but I can imagine there exist people who would expect a tourist mountain like Ben Nevis to be like Snowdon.

Such tourists caught up in the queues for Everest in recent years may have been equally disappointed with the lack of facilities.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:16 pm

In their defence, the tourist path up Nevis is properly grim.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby cruachan06 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:35 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:In their defence, the tourist path up Nevis is properly grim.

My sister said much the same thing. She's bagged a load of munros and when I asked her if it was worth doing Ben Nevis when I do the WHW she said don't bother unless you like a view of queues, Ben Lomond is much quieter and a much nicer walk and on your way as well.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Robert Haynes » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:41 am

There was once a hotel on the summit; when the observatory closed, the hotel took it over as a refreshment room. 3 shillings for lunch, 10 shillings for dinner, bed and breakfast. It's probably just as well that the proposed railway to the top (with associated large hotel) was never built.
Robert Haynes
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:23 am

cruachan06 wrote:
iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:In their defence, the tourist path up Nevis is properly grim.

My sister said much the same thing. She's bagged a load of munros and when I asked her if it was worth doing Ben Nevis when I do the WHW she said don't bother unless you like a view of queues, Ben Lomond is much quieter and a much nicer walk and on your way as well.

Ben Lomond is the most popular Munro by the way. Even on this website Ben Lomond has 22,719 recorded ascents versus 19,746 for Ben Nevis. Plus Ben Nevis is at the end of the WHW and its a nice way to finish off the hike if your legs will allow. 8)

The tourist path gets an unfair hard press to be honest. We really enjoyed it, albeit at the time we didn't have anything to compare it with as it was our first Munro.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:35 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:Ben Lomond is the most popular Munro by the way

Do you have a source for that? The estimates I can find online suggest 30,000 ascents per year for Ben Lomond and 150,000 for Ben Nevis.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby CharlesT » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:08 am

Could be much improved by converting it to a road, as per Pikes Peak in Colorado, after all it's only a third of the height. Then they could charge people to drive to the top and run hill climbs up it. Fun for all the family.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:57 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:
cruachan06 wrote:

Ben Lomond is the most popular Munro by the way. Even on this website Ben Lomond has 22,719 recorded ascents versus 19,746 for Ben Nevis. Plus Ben Nevis is at the end of the WHW and its a nice way to finish off the hike if your legs will allow. 8)

The tourist path gets an unfair hard press to be honest. We really enjoyed it, albeit at the time we didn't have anything to compare it with as it was our first Munro.

I compleated the Munros via the tourist path which, in hindsight, was a daft idea. There was some charity walk on that day and probably a good 2k or 3k people on the hill. Awful but at least I never have to do it again.

I could believe Lomond is more popular than Nevis but would be interesting to see pre and post Covid figures. Have Three Peak Challenges resumed yet?
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby al78 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:15 am

I guess Ben Lomond is popular because it is very accessable from the densely populated central lowlands. I have only climbed Ben Nevis once via the tourist path and I thought it was ok, there were plenty of people on the plateau but it wasn't what I would call rammed full, although it being May and outside the main tourist season and there still being a thick snow cover on the summit may have helped there.

I would like to climb Ben Nevis again but via the Carn Mor Dearg arete and/or including the two Aonachs, that circuit can be done starting at the end of glen Nevis and walking through the beautiful gorge and meadow with the Steall falls. The Lochaber 4000's.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:59 pm

al78 wrote:I guess Ben Lomond is popular because it is very accessable from the densely populated central lowlands.

It is something of a rite of passage for Weegies, ideally attempted when hungover, in inappropriate footwear, and with a copious supply of "ginger" (usually Irn Bru) in a carrier bag.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby tolkienabouthills » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 pm

Nowt wrong with Ben Nevis if you do it via one of the quieter routes. I did the route via Càrn Mòr Dearg a few years back and didn't see a soul until the summit plateau (this was in mid August), great ridge walking and the pony track made for a decent enough descent route. If it were in Cumbria it'd be one of the best walks in Lakeland, it's only across the glen from the wonder of the Mamores that it pales a little bit in comparison. All that to say I wouldn't tell anyone to discount doing it entirely, just choose your day and your route carefully, and if you have limited time then favour some of the other mountains in the glen.
tolkienabouthills
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   Islands:2

Postby cruachan06 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:07 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:
cruachan06 wrote:

I've heard that too because it's the most southerly and can be relatively easily driven to. My sister just recommended Ben Lomond though as it's close to the path and relatively simple, she said her favourite by far of the ones she's done is Buchallie Etive Mor.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion