walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairngorm bus times???

Cairngorm bus times???

Postby Choccy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:32 am

Hi all, I'm looking for some real world advice as I'm not 100% sure I trust the web. I'm looking to do a trip to the Cairngorms in November, as I'd thoroughly enjoyed my trip in August, and would like to explore more.

I'm planning a full days hike, but not sure about getting to Glenmore or Cairngorm and back. On the Stagecoach website it says there is a bus from Aviemore to Glenmore at 05:43 and a return from Cairngorm Ski Centre at 17:02. If this is the case it would be perfect for a 9 to 10 hour hike with a little safety net of an hour or so.

Is there anyone that can verify these times, it would be very much appreciated.

Leigh...
Choccy
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   

Re: Cairngorm bus times???

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:41 pm

I see no reason not to trust the Stagecoach website!

If you use those buses, you will need to be prepared to walk for at least the first hour in the dark, and by the end of November it will be dark again by about 4.30pm. You are quite likely to encounter full winter conditions on the hills in November - you should factor that in to any time estimates for a walk (with appropriate contingency plans / escape routes) and also be aware that the road beyond Glenmore can get closed by snow.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Choccy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:00 pm

jmarkb wrote:I see no reason not to trust the Stagecoach website!

If you use those buses, you will need to be prepared to walk for at least the first hour in the dark, and by the end of November it will be dark again by about 4.30pm. You are quite likely to encounter full winter conditions on the hills in November - you should factor that in to any time estimates for a walk (with appropriate contingency plans / escape routes) and also be aware that the road beyond Glenmore can get closed by snow.

Thanks jmarkb, yes I have factored in the dark and weather, I think the weather would be my main concern, but I'd adjust my plan accordingly. I was just a bit unsure about those times, but I'm guessing they shuttle people to work etc.

Leigh...
Choccy
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:02 pm

Bynack More https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/bynackmore.shtml would perhaps be a good option - starts from Glenmore where the early bus stops, has a good track to follow in the dark to begin with, the navigation is quite straightforward and it is easier to escape from in poor weather than if you venture up on to the main plateau.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby SummitStupid » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:59 pm

I got caught out by these buses a couple months back. I was expecting to be able to get a bus back from the ski centre, when the helpful gentleman attending the car park told me the bus company had recently stopped services to the centre at the weekend. My advice would be to phone the company for confirmation, as it's a long trek to Aviemore otherwise.
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:23
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:109
Wainwrights:84   Islands:10

Postby Choccy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:13 pm

jmarkb wrote:Bynack More https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/bynackmore.shtml would perhaps be a good option - starts from Glenmore where the early bus stops, has a good track to follow in the dark to begin with, the navigation is quite straightforward and it is easier to escape from in poor weather than if you venture up on to the main plateau.

Looks good, I was thinking of heading to Loch Avon, I'd already seen this route. If weather was kind I'd head up Cairngorm and exit this way. If not this would be a good start.

I had heard that buses have stopped at weekends, this is why I'm going during the week, the one positive from doing shift work 😁😁

Leigh...
Choccy
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion