walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Where to avoid the weather this weekend?

Where to avoid the weather this weekend?

Postby SummitStupid » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:08 pm

I'm heading to Scotland for a couple of weeks on Thursday. Mixed messages on the MWIS site, but it seems to suggest avoiding western Scotland which is a shame as I was planning on starting at Moidart. I'm not sure what area exactly "western Scotland" covers as most of the Highlands would seem to qualify, so does anyone have any good ideas where I could head out for a few nights' camping? Anywhere but the Cairngorms really - would the Affric area be a good solution or is that, too, "western Scotland"?
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:23
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:109
Wainwrights:84   Islands:10

Re: Where to avoid the weather this weekend?

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 pm

To be honest, it's far too early in the week to have any idea of how the weekend will be. I'd plan a couple of options and pick one come Thursday, MWIS only gives 2 days in advance for a reason.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby davekeiller » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:54 pm

Agree with the above. The weather forecast will change too much to be able to accurately plan more than 2 or 3 days in advance.
MWIS defines the northwest highlands as being north of Koydart and west of the Great Glen. Their definition of West highlands, is basically anything west of Ben Alder and Loch Lomond and south of Glenfinnan.

Affric might be a good option as it's northwest (ish) - bad weather might be further south.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:15 pm

MWIS give a short narrative near the top of each forecast of what area is covered by each forecast:

Northwest Highlands:

MWIS wrote:Areas north from Knoydart in the west, and the Great Glen towards the east (NB. Does not include Mull and areas west of Loch Linnhe, these are found in the West Highlands forecast.)

Western Highlands:

MWIS wrote:Western Highlands accessible from, and south of, Glenfinnan (Road to the Isles) and Glen Spean (includes Creag Meagaidh). This area include Ben Nevis and the mountains around Glencoe. In the east, includes Ben Alder south to Loch Lomond and Trossachs NP. Includes Arran and Mull.

Worth checking Mountain forecast too: https://www.mountain-forecast.com/maps/scotland
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby SummitStupid » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:45 pm

Appreciate the replies everyone, thank you, though I am aware of the delineations of the Highlands as MWIS defines them - just that the term "western Scotland" seems to suggest the whole western seaboard might be in for a soaking.

If I could rephrase my question: Assuming that the ambiguous "western Scotland" is indeed in for a lot of rain this weekend, where might be a good place to avoid it that's north of the A9? I have two night shifts left, just looking to fill them with all the fun of planning routes (and as I don't drive I'd like to get transport paid for sooner than later).
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:04 pm

Saturday at least is looking like a OK day. The far northwest sometimes fares better than Kintail/Skye/Torridon in south to southwesterfly flows.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby denfinella » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:21 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by "north of the A9" - the A9 goes all the way up to Thurso on the far north coast.

The weekend isn't currently looking too bad - Friday looks like the wettest day, though exactly where the heaviest rain will be is still to be determined.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby SummitStupid » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:47 am

Oops, meant whatever the road that goes up the Great Glen is - as I said, I don't drive! :crazy:
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Postby Tringa » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:43 am

Can't recommend anywhere in particular, but if you head towards Inverness it will give you the shortest distance between the east and west coasts. When the weather is poor on one side it is often good on the other.

Dave
Tringa

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion