walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Which OS maps do I need?

Which OS maps do I need?

Postby AndyATSmith » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:40 pm

Over the years I've collected thousands of route descriptions from books, magazines, leaflets and newspaper articles. I'm currently trying to organise details of them in a spreadsheet for ease of reference when I'm looking for somewhere to go. I had been making a note of exactly which OS Landranger and Explorer maps were required for each route, partly because I intend to sort them by that detail. Up until fairly recently, on the OS website you could zoom in on a fairly detailed map of the UK to visually trace out your route and you could easily see where the map boundaries lay which would allow you to determine which maps were needed. Unfortunately they have now replaced this with a far less detailed map, making it more difficult to check whether a route straddles multiple paper maps. I had hoped that the digital subscription service from OS would show the map boundaries but after speaking to someone at their office, they gave me the impression that this wasn't possible. Does anyone know if there is a way of working out exactly which maps are required to cover a certain route?

Thanks,

Andy
AndyATSmith
Walker

Re: Which OS maps do I need?

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:33 pm

The map view on the OS website still seems to be there, you just have to click on the area to get the map boundaries to show up?
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby AndyATSmith » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:09 am

Yes, the map is still there but it's not quite as detailed and you can't zoom in as far so it's not quite as easy to tell whether a route crosses a map boundary. I know that 99 times out of 100 it will be obvious which maps would be needed for a particular route but I'm afraid I'm a bit of a stickler for perfection and it annoys me if I can't be sure whether I'd need an adjacent map for that mile or two which gets close to the edge! :-?
AndyATSmith
Walker

Postby gaffr » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:31 am

Hello, If the Scottish Hills are your thing? Then the SMC Hillwalker guides will give you the Ordnance Survey maps needed for each walk detailed.....For Munros, Corbetts not sure if the new Graham's book does have map Numbers? The earlier Dempster book did have them for each walk.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Tringa » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:10 am

Perhaps a combination of the online OS maps you already have and the OS overlay on Bing maps might help.

One of the options on Bing Maps(https://www.bing.com/maps) in the dropdown box at the top right is for OS maps

While it does not show map boundaries you can zoom in a lot(on my 26 inch monitor I can only get about half a grid square at the maximum zoom) and it might help you to get what you want.

Alternatively if a particular route has only a short distance on one map you could print off the section you need from Bing.

Dave
Tringa

Postby AndyATSmith » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:31 am

gaffr wrote:Hello, If the Scottish Hills are your thing? Then the SMC Hillwalker guides will give you the Ordnance Survey maps needed for each walk detailed.....For Munros, Corbetts not sure if the new Graham's book does have map Numbers? The earlier Dempster book did have them for each walk.

Thanks for letting me know about these :D . I'd love to do more in the way of Munros, Corbetts and Grahams but at the moment I just don't think my joints are up to the task. I'm a good bit overweight and need to try shifting some pounds (and stones) which will hopefully ease up the pressure on my knee joints in particular. I cope fine on the level and am currently building up the distance I walk each time I go out but then with the days getting shorter I intend to reduce the mileage and increase the ascent (within reason as I wouldn't be tempted by winter mountaineering yet!). Must try and speak to a physio too in order to get advice about exercises. Sorry - I'm getting a bit side-tracked now.

You mention a book by Dempster which reminded me of something else that I've been trying to find out. I've got his book on the Hughs, which I think was released in 2015. He gave the impression that a second volume for the Hughs on the Scottish islands would be forthcoming but there's still no sign of it - does anyone know if this is still in the pipeline?

Tringa wrote:Perhaps a combination of the online OS maps you already have and the OS overlay on Bing maps might help.

One of the options on Bing Maps(https://www.bing.com/maps) in the dropdown box at the top right is for OS maps

While it does not show map boundaries you can zoom in a lot(on my 26 inch monitor I can only get about half a grid square at the maximum zoom) and it might help you to get what you want.

Alternatively if a particular route has only a short distance on one map you could print off the section you need from Bing.

Dave

Thanks for this. I didn't know about Bing Maps so I'm sure this will come in handy! :D
AndyATSmith
Walker

Postby gaffr » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Well there is always something new to learn.....The Hughs....very new to me. There will be some grand wee hills amongst that list I guess....I am also sure that I must have got to some of them without knowing of the book listing. Must have a wee look at the book of details.
Yes take it easy and build up gradually.... You will know yourself when you are ready to tread on the higher ground.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:08 pm

AndyATSmith wrote:He gave the impression that a second volume for the Hughs on the Scottish islands would be forthcoming but there's still no sign of it - does anyone know if this is still in the pipeline?

Amazon shows a publication date of next April - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hughs-Scotlands-Best-Hills-under/dp/1912147343
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion