walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn a Ghlo 3 from Glenn Tilt ?

Beinn a Ghlo 3 from Glenn Tilt ?

Postby Kenny Raeside » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 am

I’m intending on cycling up Glen Tilt to Forest lodge to climb Carn a Chlamain.
I’m wondering if the Beinn a Ghlo 3 are accessible from Forest lodge area rather than go back down the glen and approach from loch Moraig ?
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Re: Beinn a Ghlo 3 from Glenn Tilt ?

Postby gaffr » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:30 am

I did the reverse of this route many years ago on Winter....no cycle of course:-) However had to back track a bit to get to a bridge for the river crossing.... Too much ice in the river to risk a crossing.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby gaffr » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:30 am

I did the reverse of this route many years ago on Winter....no cycle of course:-) However had to back track a bit to get to a bridge for the river crossing.... Too much ice in the river to risk a crossing.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:24 am

That approach was once more popular in the days when it was possible to get permission to drive up Glen Tilt. My old copy of Cameron McNeish's Munros guidebook describes it that way - he suggests climbing Carn Liath from Balaneasie (though a line from the Chlachghlas bridge may be more convenient for you), and descending the N ridge of Carn nan Gabhar to the bridge at Dail Feannach. I expect it is all pathless apart from the sections between the summits.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:35 am

Yeah, the Beinn a Ghlo 3 can be accessed from Glen Tilt. Scotland's Mountains did a video on that approach, albeit I think he only did the one Munro at the back.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby weedavie » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:35 am

Yes, I've done it a couple of times. 3k walk up the river to the bridge at Allt Fheariach. Up Meall a Mhuirich, very heathery but you can find a path, then on pleasantly to Carn nan Ghabhar. Standard route round to Carn Liath. Then back to the first bend in the ridge and work out a straight line for the bridge at Clach Glas. That's got to be dead reckoning because you don't see it till the last moment. It's not bad terrain, though. Then a couple of kilometres back to Forest Lodge.

If you don't fancy the road walk, a cycle up to the Allt Fheariach bridge gives a good easy circuit of Carn nan Ghabhar and Braigh Coire Chruinn-Bhalgain. I sort of did that once.https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46453
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Kenny Raeside » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:51 pm

Thanks folks.
I was hoping there’d be a reasonable option to do it from Glen Tilt 👌 👍
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:57 am

I've done it that way - only carried my bike up from Tilt, rode the tops, dropped off the front of Carn Liath and back to the car.
Super day out.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby gaffr » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:47 am

That sounds like a tough day out using the bike....I take it that it was not an battery assisted bike :lol: that would be a really tough day out. I do use a bike when out but just to reach where I want to walk uphill from. The only time when I carried a bike, years ago, was to reach the Corbett Leathad an Taobhain from the end of the estate track before continuing along the Minigaig to Bruar and into Glen Tilt, and then onto Geldie and back into Feshie.
My daughter does the carrying of her bike on occasions to get to a cross over into another valley? You folks seem to have your own system for getting the bike onto your shoulders for a carry.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:37 pm

I did them from Glen Tilt some years ago, without even knowing about the "usual" route. Cycled up the Glen, left the bike at the point I would drop down from the ridge, then walked up the Glen and up to the first Munro. I don't remember any particular difficulties, but I was younger and fitter then!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion