walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Isle of Lewis

Isle of Lewis

Postby PeterPWales » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 am

Hi
Has anyone got suggestions for good walks on the Isle of Lewis for wildlife spotting?We are staying next week.
PeterPWales
Bird-watcher

Re: Isle of Lewis

Postby BigTed » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:47 pm

Probably best on the coasts the moors on Lewis are a bit barren. If you are up in thr north there is a nice coastal walk above sea cliffs going south from Skigersta. When I was there , years age, I saw Peregrine Falcons flying over the cliffs as well as the usual seabirds.

If you can arrange transport both ends then the walk from Skigersta south to Tolsta is good.

skig2.jpg
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:57 pm

PeterPWales wrote:Hi
Has anyone got suggestions for good walks on the Isle of Lewis for wildlife spotting?We are staying next week.

From the Port of Ness at the north end you can walk along the cliff tops and get great views out to sea, with squadrons of gannets, all the seabirds of the cliffs and shore, as well as moorland birds, and possibly eagles, both golden and sea-eagles, seals, dolphins and whales. All around the coast there are such opportunities, it's just a case of finding somewhere you wont get blown off a cliff, end up in a swamp or get eaten by ferocious farm dogs. The stone circle at Callanish is out on a promontory which has lots of wildlife, the broch at Dun Carloway too is worth a visit. Harris is on the same land mass, the two areas were separated by mountains rather than sea, and developed different names due to their isolation from each other. There is a good road to Harris now; the beaches around Luskentyre/Seilebost and Horgabost are worth visiting; I saw a porpoise off Seilebost once. Look out from the ferry and you may well see whales on your crossing. I would stick to the North End and west coast, the east is a bit manky.

Luskentyre.JPG
Luskentyre, Harris.

Traigh Uig#1.jpg
Uig, west coast of Lewis

Clach MacLeod Horgabost.jpg
Clach MacLeod, Horgabost, Harris.

Lewis machair July August 08 059.jpg
Lewis machair near Barvas
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mmill » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:33 pm

On lewis one of the less known but lovely beaches is at valtos. It is also a very enjoyable wander around the headland. If you like seafood there is a good takeaway place on the road out there.

If you can get down to Harris, the Eagle observatory place is on the road out to hushnish. Hushnish is another great beach and headland to explore, well worth the drive down that road.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby Coop » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:35 pm

Do the boat trip to the Shiant Isles
I was there early July
Sea eagles, minke whales, puffins porpoises, razorbills cormorants, guillemots skuas, seals, fantastic trip
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby John Doh » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:24 pm

Coop wrote:Do the boat trip to the Shiant Isles
I was there early July
Sea eagles, minke whales, puffins porpoises, razorbills cormorants, guillemots skuas, seals, fantastic trip

Are there scheduled trips to the Shiants now? And yes OP, go there if possible, it’s one of the best island trips.
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby PeterPWales » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 am

Thank you for your replies.
The suggestions are most helpful.
Peter :D
PeterPWales
Bird-watcher

Postby rob114 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:54 pm

Hi just arrived home from Lewis early this morning. We stayed at a campsite on the west coast and from the campsite saw a pair of sea eagles. Seem to be around that area, Shawbost quite often. Also saw eagles on a walk on the west coast. Dolphins spotted from ferry to Skye yesterday. Happy hunting.
rob114
Mountaineer

Munros:125   Corbetts:33
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:9   Islands:22

Postby Coop » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:45 pm

John Doh wrote:
I was there early July

Are there scheduled trips to the Shiants now? And yes OP, go there if possible, it’s one of the best island trips.

Yep, went with these
https://www.isleofharrisseatours.co.uk/trips/the-shiant-isles/
Fantastic day out
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby John Doh » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:39 pm

Coop wrote:
John Doh wrote:
I was there early July

Yep, went with these
https://www.isleofharrisseatours.co.uk/trips/the-shiant-isles/
Fantastic day out

Very nice, l see they have trips to Taransay and Scarp as well. Another reason to return to Harris.
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:37 pm

Another three places no longer free of credit card tourism……bugger.
Scraggygoat

Postby Bastonjock » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:46 pm

I was at Tolsta beach a couple of years ago , I saw two birds in the distance coming round the high cliffs ,I gazed up at them as they were flying in a strange pattern ,almost like two fighter planes practicing dog rights ,as they got closer I noticed the markings under the wings I identifying a juvenile golden eagle as they flew almost over head they did only what I can describe as an acrobatic tumble ,touching claws briefly to this day I wonder if it was an adult teaching a juvenile the rudiments of golden eagle courtship of was it two eagles signing a marriage pact

Unfortunately I had left my camera with the long lense in my camper ,the memory will never leave
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion