walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

John Muir Way Recommendations

John Muir Way Recommendations

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:23 pm

I'm looking to day a day walk around East Lothian as it's a bit of the country I don't know.

If I can only do one of Edinburgh to Prestonpans, Prestonpans to North Berwick, North Berwick to Dunbar what would folk suggest?
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: John Muir Way Recommendations

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 pm

None of the above! I would recommend Longniddry to N. Berwick, but stick to the coast instead of following the JMW. Haddington to Dunbar is also a nice walk, mostly along the Tyne, linking https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lothian/haddington-east-linton.shtml with a section of the JMW, but don't miss out Belhaven beach (which the JMW does). Both are quite well served by public transport to get back to the start, or to/from Edinburgh.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 am

I done Cockburnspath to North Berwick over two days, really enjoyable walk.

My wee vid might be useful:

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:43 pm

I also enjoyed the Cockburnspath to Dunbar stretch which the JMW has now kicked out - I think it has the best views - but either of the next two stretches would give you more of a mix of coast and country, if that's what you want.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:43 pm

I really enjoyed the North Berwick to Dunbar section. Good bus service back to Dunbar too.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:17 pm

Cheers All

I noticed the JMW seems to turn sharply inland. More a coastal walk I'm looking for

The most important thing I forgot to mention was pubs en route or at end.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:30 pm

Sadly no pub in Cockburnspath, but you'd find one in Dunbar...

Does it have to be East Lothian? St Abbs to Cove/Cockburnspath is a good coast walk, although a bit short of pubs - there might be one at Pease Bay. It's only marked on very new maps, but there's a Berwickshire Coast Path leaflet you can download.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am

There's always the North Berwick to Musselburgh section which is largely coastal walking.

nigheandonn wrote:Does it have to be East Lothian? St Abbs to Cove/Cockburnspath is a good coast walk, although a bit short of pubs - there might be one at Pease Bay. It's only marked on very new maps, but there's a Berwickshire Coast Path leaflet you can download.

We did the Berwickshire Coastal Path over 2 days, there's a club at Pease Bay, but I'm not sure if non members are allowed in. Coldingham is a good base, 2 pubs in the village and the caravan site let us in to their pub too. Got Eyemouth as well, then nothing until Berwick Upon Tweed.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:44 am

If you do Longniddry - N. Berwick along the coast, there are pubs in Aberlady, Gullane and N. Berwick, though I could not give you any personal recommendations. It is better, though not essential, to avoid high tide, as in a few places the best/easiest walking is on the sands. It is possible to continue east as far as Canty Bay before it all gets a bit too rocky. Climbing N. Berwick Law at the end is another option if it's all been a bit too flat, as described here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25445
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Bastonjock » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:28 pm

I've got a rough plan to explore the Scottish border are , I'm aiming to do the coastal path from Berwick upon tweed and head north ,doubling back using a bus to pick up my camper then on to the next section the following day

This will be my first serious attempt at long distance walking , I'll be going with my rucksack as I'm wanting to find out how far I can reasonably cover in a day ,I'm a reasonably fit almost 64 year old guy ,it's an opportunity for me to visit my ancestral roots , all of the surnames in my family history are from the Scottish borders
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion