walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

West Drumochter 4 - bike at one end ?

West Drumochter 4 - bike at one end ?

Postby Kenny Raeside » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:48 pm

I’m thinking about doing the west Drumochter 4 tomorrow, I’ve read a couple of reports saying it’s a bit of a trudge back up the A9 to the car.
I’ll have the bike with me, any suggestions as to where I could leave it to enable a cycle back to the car when I come off the hills ?
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Re: West Drumochter 4 - bike at one end ?

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:18 pm

It's only a couple of miles, but not too pleasant due to how close you are to the A9. Stop at Layby 79 (NN632756, https://goo.gl/maps/r3bZibYu6YfpNSTK9), dump the bike somewhere down the track, towards the bridge under the railway, and start the walk from Balsporran. There is a larger car park 400m further N from Layby 79 with assorted trees, fences and posts to lock a bike to, but it may be hard to make it inconspicuous: https://goo.gl/maps/cjoMYTpp8jLKLfto6
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Kenny Raeside » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks Jmarkb 👍
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:15 am

I parked the car in the lay-by where the Coire Dhomhain meets the A9. Cycled up to Balsporran cottages and just locked up the bike at the edge of the car park - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Kenny Raeside » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:34 pm

I did them yesterday intending to camp in the hills overnight as I’d done A bhuidheanach-bheag and Cairn na Caim in the morning, thinking I’d be a bit tired to finish the 4, but the weather turned so decided to press on and finish them.
When I got back to the A9 I’d wished I’d left the bike but didn’t want to leave it overnight as was my initial plan. Camped in one of the bigger lay-bys on the A9 😳
Had an easier day today, nice weather doing Carn a Chlamain 👍
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion