walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

New boots - some advice please

New boots - some advice please

Postby Kenny Raeside » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:27 am

I started a topic some weeks back regarding my Berghaus Brasher GTX boots leaking. After further investigation it turned out it was the actual boots that were leaking. They came with a “lifetime” waterproof guarantee.
I’d bought them in 2017 from Blacks Dundee so took them back there with my receipt , the shop manager informed me that as I’d had them for 4 years and two weeks then they were no longer covered by the lifetime guarantee as the lifetime is the expected lifetime of a product, which in the case of boots is 4 years. I left the shop rather disappointed, particularly with the shop manager’s attitude.
I contacted Berghaus who told me that the 4 years is only a guideline and it wholly depended on the condition of the boots, and that I was to send them back to them, which I did.
I received an email yesterday advising I was to receive a full refund in a credit note - top notch service as far as I’m concerned, a credit to Berghaus for standing by their product.

So, I’m looking at the Hillmaster GTX II boot but am slightly put off with the weight, then there is the Hillwalker boot, mainly suede / fabric construction but significantly lighter. Both Goretex membrane.

Can anyone advise how much of a factor boot weight is , and also the suitability of the suede/ fabric type boot for doing Munros given that I’ll be encountering bogs etc ?

Or do I buy a jacket or something with my credit note and get an alternative boot ?

This year has been my first serious hillwalking year so I’m rather uninformed as to what is best.

Thanks.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Re: New boots - some advice please

Postby Skyelines » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:20 pm

I have never thought about the weight of boots, always bought on the basis of fit, comfort and durability. I can't say changing boots has ever had a noticeable effect while walking. The fact is your body just gets used to them the more you walk in them.

All leather or fabric and suede, had both. Good quality leather without Goretex have been fine and waterproof, though that was when boots were made of good well tanned leather . The increase in the market size has reduced the quality of materials used these days. So Goretex seems a necessity now for dry feet though sweaty feet just a common..
Fabric and Suede with Goretex have been good too but on balance personally prefer leather for rougher terrain as they give better support.

I have no experience of Berghaus boots but have looked at some online. Personally I would not buy any boots(or shoes) on which the lacing loops are made of fabric. Metal and riveted every time or eyelets.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Scottk » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:01 pm

There is the Berghaus Supalite gtx which looks good but I have no experience of it. I find boot weight makes a huge difference on long days. I use mids for most of my hillwalking at about 450g per boot-big difference from my winter boots at 1kg each.
I also use unlined trail shoes in the summer which are great but I do prefer more support and more foot protection when I am backpacking.
The downside of lightweight boots is durability but if you can accept that they are great.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby jamiecopeland » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:11 pm

All leather Altberg boots. Every time 👌
jamiecopeland

Postby DopeyLoser » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:51 pm

I do consider weight when buying boots, but I consider stiffness more. I try bending the sole to assess how stiff it is. For hillwalking and scrambling, I am happy with a boot that is somewhat flexible, but certainly not a super bendy one. A metal shank helps to add stiffness.

Why have some level of stiffness in the sole of the boot? So that your feet do not have a sole-destroying experience when you walk fifteen or twenty miles in a day, especially if you're carrying a load on your back.

You can get fully rigid boots, but they are heavy and not good for much except ice climbing, IMO. Of course, you need some level of stiffness if you are going to be using crampons i.e. in winter conditions.

Ankle support is also a consideration. My personal preference is to have some.

It really is a matter of personal preference. Some people are happy with very lightweight boots or bendy shoes. I see them running up hills and wonder how they do it.

I don't really rate waterproofness at all. Most boots are probably waterproof to some degree, but I will suggest that almost no normal-style hillwalking boots are truly waterproof. If you are out all day in pouring rain and wading through bogs and burns, then by the time you are done, your boots are going to be sopping wet, inside and out. You can spend a moderate amount of money and have wet feet or more money and have feet which are just as wet.
DopeyLoser

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:10 am

Aaah, boots... Leather for me, waxed heavily with natural beeswax. Slightly bendy but able to take crampons with a Scotch Ring. Light as possible. I once walked through the Lairig Ghru wearing steel toe-capped Caterpillar work boots. The weight pulled on my foot, meaning that by the time I was in the pass I could feel the bones of my ankles pulling apart. Make good use of cushiony insoles and padded socks, the kind with reinforced areas for the toes, heel and insole. I must wax my boots again, for the lonely hills and the sky, and all I ask is an O.S. map and a compass to steer me by...

013ar.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby tigerburnie » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:56 pm

I'd go for a new coat and buy a pair of Merrells myself.
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

Postby Andy Milne » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:53 am

As per a previous comment, the all leather Altberg boots are great for all conditions, esp the typical boggy,wet,misty,rain conditions that can happen at any time of the year. I have never found them “heavy” even after a 27km walk on a hot sunny day
Andy Milne
Hill Bagger

Munros:230   Corbetts:44
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Kenny Raeside » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:18 am

Thanks all.
A few valid points above that I’d not considered to ponder before making my decision.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Postby MusicalHiker » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:31 pm

Echoing others here- Altbergs are so much better than Berghaus/Brasher these days. Made in Yorkshire, and also you can send them back to be re-soled. I adore mine. They have a huge range of different widths and several models to choose from. Mine are three years old and still a long way from needing any attention…
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion