walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Tilt

Glen Tilt

Postby Mountain Mike » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Hello All,
I think I asked about Glen Tilt in a post earlier this year.
Unfortunately, with the protracted uncertainty over Covid along with domestic considerations(wife having an operation, garden landscaping) my plans for something exciting(Lairig Ghru, West Highland Way) fell by the wayside. Of course the side effect of that is that I'm not as hill fit as I would like to be.

My question therefore is what is Glen Tilt like in October-November.
? I was looking at the possibility of basing myself in Blair Atholl and doing an out and return one day trip. I can't see any bothies on the map.Are there any one day walks of a similar standard in the Blair Atholl area?

Grateful for any info. Thanks
Mountain Mike
Wanderer

Re: Glen Tilt

Postby jmarkb » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:09 pm

Glen Tilt can be a fine place with all the Autumn colours. Closest bothies are Allt Scheicheachan https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/eastern-highlands/allt-scheicheachan/ and the Tarf Hotel https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/eastern-highlands/tarf-hotel-feith-uaine/

From Blair Atholl you can also walk into Glen Bruar (past Allt Scheicheachan bothy) with an optional higher level return along the Allt Slanaidh track to the Glen Tilt shooting range, or do this circuit https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/glen-banvie.shtml
There is also Ben Vrackie close by - much more uphill but with a good path https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/ben-vrackie.shtml
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby denfinella » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:43 pm

Funnily enough I was thinking about this earlier today too. Upper Glen Tilt is one of those "mythical" bucket-list places for me - I haven't gone beyond the lower part.

When I go, I'm planning to hire a bike and cycle up to Bedford Bridge and back in a single day (though I haven't properly researched it yet - perhaps someone could advise if this is achievable or not!).

You could definitely do a day walk around the lower part of the glen, perhaps up to Gaw's Bridge and back along the other bank, but that really only seems like scratching the surface.

I would also recommend Ben Vrackie from Pitlochry, but returning via Killiecrankie Gorge which should have lovely autumn colours in mid October.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:12 pm

I was in Glen Tilt last October, after having to delay my usual end of May trip due to lockdown. The Autumn colours there last year were stunning. The best bits were the riverside path from Blair Atholl up past the campsite and the part of the lower path to Allt Shiechachan from Old Bridge of Tilt to the open moorland. Both can easily be done as part of longer day walks from Blair Atholl.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby BigTed » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:41 pm

Upper Glen Tilt is lovely. I dossed out a short way upstream from the road end, past the footbridge on the last night of a 3 day MTB circuit of the Cairngorms in early May one year. Lovely spot but being in a cleft with steep hills either side I seemed to get cold air dumped on me as the temp dropped below freezing overnight.

campsite2.jpg
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:16 pm

I have been up and through Glen Tilt on various journeys, you can access the summits of Beinn A'Ghlo from Glen Tilt by the use of 2 old stalkers paths shown in red on map.
The river crossing is by a very well built bridge over the River Tilt and by a smaller bridge over the Allt Feannach

Screenshot 2021-10-04 181219.jpg
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby boriselbrus » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:44 pm

When I go, I'm planning to hire a bike and cycle up to Bedford Bridge and back in a single day (though I haven't properly researched it yet - perhaps someone could advise if this is achievable or not!).

It's no problem at all. I did it with my partner and her adult daughter. My partner was on a hardtail MTB and she rides about twice a year and was fine, her daughter on an electric hybrid, again no problems. The joy of this route of course is that if you get tired, you just turn round and it's downhill pretty much all the way back!
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby denfinella » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:43 pm

Thanks Boris!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion