walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mam Sodhail bike?

Mam Sodhail bike?

Postby perr » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:45 am

Could anyone say please if it's feasible to reach Mam Sodhail (+neighbours) partially by bike? I'm looking particularly at the track from Affric towards Coire Leachavie which looks like it could be bikeable?
perr
Munro compleatist

Munros:265   Corbetts:3

Re: Mam Sodhail bike?

Postby AJ01 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:49 am

perr wrote:Could anyone say please if it's feasible to reach Mam Sodhail (+neighbours) partially by bike? I'm looking particularly at the track from Affric towards Coire Leachavie which looks like it could be bikeable?

I don't know what the path on the north side of Loch Affric leading to Coire Leachavie is like, but when I climbed An Socach (Affric) and Mam Sodhail I biked along the track to the south of Loch Affric to somewhere in the area of Athnamulloch and did a circular walk from there. I vaguely remember the track being a bit rough and stony in places, so it wasn't a particularly speedy journey, but manageable and well worth biking rather than walking.
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby Coop » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:57 am

AJ01 wrote:
perr wrote:Could anyone say please if it's feasible to reach Mam Sodhail (+neighbours) partially by bike? I'm looking particularly at the track from Affric towards Coire Leachavie which looks like it could be bikeable?

I don't know what the path on the north side of Loch Affric leading to Coire Leachavie is like, but when I climbed An Socach (Affric) and Mam Sodhail I biked along the track to the south of Loch Affric to somewhere in the area of Athnamulloch and did a circular walk from there. I vaguely remember the track being a bit rough and stony in places, so it wasn't a particularly speedy journey, but manageable and well worth biking rather than walking.

Don't mean to be oedantuc - but isn't that what hill walking is about - walkjng
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:41 pm

It's a bit rough in parts but could be cycled. Not sure I would find it worth it for the few km it would save.
Also the walkhighlands or SMC munro book route is a finer route though I would choose to start from the road end car park.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby boriselbrus » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:34 pm

From the car park to Affric lodge it's an easy track. From Affric Lodge to to track to the Coire Leachavie it's OK but a bit "rubbly" in places. I've not ridden up the Corrie track but from memory it was a decent path most of the way and certainly ridable on the way down. If you are doing an out and back then I'd go for it and just stash the bike where the path deteriorates - probably around 134244 (sorry can't see the sheet identifier).
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby AJ01 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:23 am

Coop wrote:
AJ01 wrote:

Don't mean to be oedantuc - but isn't that what hill walking is about - walkjng

Using a bike to cycle along a track beyond the end of the public highway is, IMO, no different from using a car to drive to the end of the public highway. Hillwalking for me is about enjoying a walk in the mountains, and since slogging miles along a track isn't enjoyable, and there is a viable, cheap, human-powered, and available alternative (and I'm not a masochist), then yes, for me biking is worth doing rather than walking. Since the OP asked about bike access I assumed that he or she had a similar view and responded in accordance with that. I recognise that there are other opinions on this matter.

Angus
AJ01

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:29 am

We've not had a purist Vs cyclist debate for a while :lol:

I'm firmly in the "If a bike is practicable, I'll use it" camp. I cannot begin to imagine how tedious I'd find the long walks to even get to the likes of the Alder Hills and Sgarsoch/Fhidlheir would be. I'll cycle those every time :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby mmill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:12 pm

We did those 3 using the path through that coire a few weeks ago. We debated bike options but decided in the end to walk it. I think we enjoyed the walk more than if we'd cycled any. Walking means you can be flexible on your return route. I walked the first 7ish km in trail shoes before changing to boots.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby mmill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:20 pm

Forgot to say, I would say we are fairly average speed walkers and parking at the end car park it took us about 9 1/4 hours.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby Coop » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:57 pm

No worries Angus
I'm no purist, if I'm gubbed coming off a hill and I've a long walk back I'll gladly get in an estate workers 4x4 if they offered ( only happened twice though and I've took a lift once)

I just stupidly picked up on the part you said " rather than walking "

To the Op- I went over the demoted munro 1st when I did these - that almost done me straight away .
All the best all
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby AJ01 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:29 am

Coop wrote:No worries Angus
I'm no purist, if I'm gubbed coming off a hill and I've a long walk back I'll gladly get in an estate workers 4x4 if they offered ( only happened twice though and I've took a lift once)

I just stupidly picked up on the part you said " rather than walking "

To the Op- I went over the demoted munro 1st when I did these - that almost done me straight away .
All the best all

Thanks for your conciliatory response. All the best to you too.
A.
AJ01

Postby Colin1951 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:21 am

The track is fine for a bike, a bit sore if you have rigid forks but perfectly do-able. At Athnamulloch you can take your bike across the river (at Strawberry Cottage) and probably a little further towards the coire. A good saving of time & pain!

It gets much rougher and more boulders to the west, towards Alltbeithe youth hostel, not so sure about riding that, especially without any suspension.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion