walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Second gate in strathfarrar

Second gate in strathfarrar

Postby jayedubya73 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:49 am

Apologies if this has been posted already, I did have a look. I was in Glen Strathfarrar yesterday and noticed they now have a second gate at the boundary for Braulen Estate (320 395)

IMG20211006130027.jpg

So the gate notes access is similar to the main gate. But you can see the caveat that it "may be closed outwith the glen opening hours". A really poor way of saying they can close anytime.

The gate is 2.5 miles from the easterly start point of the Munro circuit. I wanted to flag as that's going to add 5 miles walk onto an already tight schedule to keep car access to the route.
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:231   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Second gate in strathfarrar

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:54 am

As stunning as Glenstrathfarrar is this just makes it even more of a pain in the a*** to access. Shame as I think it provides better routes to the Mullardoch munros and Maoile Lunndaidh than the more popular routes. Hopefully there's decent enough communication between the estate and the gatekeeper. I remember seeing an estate sign when I was down there in July but didn't stop to read the small print so not sure if this is a longstanding thing that's never caused a problem.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:27 pm

My reading is this will have no impact on those accessing the glen for the day, abiding by the normal arrangements. During the hours the main gate admits the public, this gate will also be open. So it’s not changing anything. ‘Outwith’ in this context means outside of the main gate opening, and not the OPs inferred ‘at anytime’ suggestion.

There is private and holiday accommodation within Strathfarrar, whom could be impacted, whom could be driving on this estates road well after main gate closing. Hence the sign, and potentially to also discourage us oiks from heading further up the glen, or people chancing staying in overnight shaving somehow slipped past the signing in process.
Scraggygoat

Postby LobeyD » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:28 pm

jayedubya73 wrote:
So the gate notes access is similar to the main gate. But you can see the caveat that it "may be closed outwith the glen opening hours". A really poor way of saying they can close anytime.

I think you've misread or misunderstood 'outwith'. This just means that the gate might be closed outside of glen access hours not during. Shouldn't impact current access.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:04 pm

The notice has probably been drafted by their lawyers to make it clear that vehicular access is by permission only, so we can't obtain a right of way by prescription (use over a long period of time). Seems advisable given they're a different landowner from the one controlling access at the entrance. It looks like there's no problem with access by bike (or presumably e-bike), though I can't see from the photo if you could get by if the gate were closed.

I wonder what will happen in winter when MCS members can gain access with the combination to the lock on the main gate? Will this gate be locked with the same combination?
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:12 pm

Good point about winter….,
Scraggygoat

Postby jayedubya73 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:46 pm

Thanks for the comments.

After reading this for the tenth time, I probably have mis-read the description about when this gate may or may not be closed. But its incredibly unclear and it gives the sense of another time-limit should you be trying the Strathfarrar circuit.

To answer another query, there is plenty of space at the side of the gate for bikes, no problem on that front.
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:231   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:
I wonder what will happen in winter when MCS members can gain access with the combination to the lock on the main gate? Will this gate be locked with the same combination?

According to Mountaineering Scotland the 2nd gate will have the same code.

They also give the impression that access to the glen by car is under threat, so maybe the writing is already on the wall. If the estate does ban cars I imagine they will get a lot more overnight visitors on foot or bike, especially now e-bikes are a factor.
It's a great place to travel in by bike and for an overnight stay but not so handy for the smash and grab baggers. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Scraggygoat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:54 pm

I cycled in and camped after the Land reform act had been passed, but before it came into effect. A estate employee drove half a mile over a field to get to us on the edge of a hill. Demanding to know how we had driven in, was wrong footed when we pointed to the bikes, before stating that camping wasn’t allowed and stomping off….

We just smiled.
I don’t think the estate will like more campers….though if they do remove car access they would probably reduce the parking at the gate to try and discourage access even further. Landowners have long know the key to managing people is to control parking….just look at Perthshire.
Scraggygoat

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion