walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mullardoch Ferry

Re: Mullardoch Ferry

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 am

Mullardoch round i started and finished at the Cluanie Inn never really found it that hard to do by taking the tent over a few days. Day one was likely the hardest getting used to carrying a big pack again.
As for the Monar hills i decided to go from Attadale to Struy taking in various hills with the tent, day one was the hardest and the last day walking out 14km along the road in Glen Strathfarrar to Struy which took a bit of mental toughness, though a nice glen to walk.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:17 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:Mullardoch round i started and finished at the Cluanie Inn never really found it that hard to do by taking the tent over a few days. Day one was likely the hardest getting used to carrying a big pack again.
As for the Monar hills i decided to go from Attadale to Struy taking in various hills with the tent, day one was the hardest and the last day walking out 14km along the road in Glen Strathfarrar to Struy which took a bit of mental toughness, though a nice glen to walk.

It is the munro bagging whilst carrying all the gear that I think might be too much for me. I found out earlier this year trying to climb the two munros near Corryhully bothy in the heat with a full backpack was too much, and there is no easy bail out around loch Mullardoch or any of the three glens. The only way I could train for something like that locally is to do something like walk from Southease to Eastbourne via Seven Sisters with a fully loaded backpack, but even then I can't simulate sustained 600m of climbing in the Downs.

I believe the Monar hills can be done by cycling in from Attadale, there is a land rover track much of the way.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:57 am

al78 wrote:
Giant Stoneater wrote:Mullardoch round i started and finished at the Cluanie Inn never really found it that hard to do by taking the tent over a few days. Day one was likely the hardest getting used to carrying a big pack again.

It is the munro bagging whilst carrying all the gear that I think might be too much for me. I found out earlier this year trying to climb the two munros near Corryhully bothy in the heat with a full backpack was too much, and there is no easy bail out around loch Mullardoch or any of the three glens. The only way I could train for something like that locally is to do something like walk from Southease to Eastbourne via Seven Sisters with a fully loaded backpack, but even then I can't simulate sustained 600m of climbing in the Downs.

I believe the Monar hills can be done by cycling in from Attadale, there is a land rover track much of the way.

I dont train for these types of walks but i am reasonably fit, once the first day is over it just all naturally kicks in, i suppose am one of the lucky few where i dont get phased by the amount of ascent/decent/distance and carrying a big pack, my wife mentions to folk that i am not human but some sort of android.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Fairweather Softie » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:00 am

al78 wrote:
Fairweather Softie wrote:I used the Mullardoch ferry back in June so certainly running post lockdown. I don't know when he runs over the winter though.

I also got no response to an email so just called him. He was very helpful.

Good to know thanks I will call him next year. How much does he charge for his trip?
Cheers

Used him earlier this year, I'm sure ! was £40 to top of Loch, sounds expensive but I thought it was worth it as I had a long day the day before and planned another long day the next day so 40 quid to save the walk along the loch made sense to me.[/quote]

It sounds expensive because it is expensive. It cost me half that to get the ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway and back. How bad is the walk along the lochside that it is worth spending that much to save a few miles?[/quote]

As I said I thought it was worth it, day before 17 hard miles in Glen Affric day after Mullardoch done Strathfarrer 4 so cutting some sore miles off using the boat was in my opinion worth it.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion