walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mullardoch Ferry

Mullardoch Ferry

Postby Arrandoug » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:54 pm

I am just back from a weekend in Glen Affric and managed to bag Tom and Toll and Mam Sodhall and Carn Eighe but sadly ran out of time to get out to Beinn Fhionnlaidh and back safely so left that for another day. I also have the Mullardoch 4 to climb and it looks like the ferry option to climb these mountains is the best. Does anyone know if the ferry has been running since lockdown and which months it operates?
It looks like I will need to make 2 trips, one for the Mullardoch 4 and then a return trip for Beinn F unless I do the long walk in again from Glen Affric . Any other suggestions to link these 5 or is that a bit optimistic?
Arrandoug
Munro compleatist

Re: Mullardoch Ferry

Postby Veryhappybunny » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:19 pm

Probably easiest to ask the ferryman himself - http://www.loch-mullardoch-ferry.co.uk/contact.html
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:37 am

You could always just redo Carn Eige and Mam Sodhail. They're two of the best munros IMO and there are a few different routes onto the ridge. Plus Glen Affric is one of the most scenic glens in Scotland. It seems a waste to do it by boat from Glen Cannich.

For the Mullardoch Munros I always plug the route from Glenstrathfarrar basically because it's better and doesn't involve that path everybody hates or crossing the Alt Taige. The only issue with it is you need to get a move on if you want to include An Socach due to the gated access.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Arrandoug » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:24 pm

Veryhappybunny wrote:Probably easiest to ask the ferryman himself - http://www.loch-mullardoch-ferry.co.uk/contact.html

Thanks I had emailed a few days ago but had no response, I will try again!
Arrandoug
Munro compleatist

Postby Arrandoug » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:34 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:You could always just redo Carn Eige and Mam Sodhail. They're two of the best munros IMO and there are a few different routes onto the ridge. Plus Glen Affric is one of the most scenic glens in Scotland. It seems a waste to do it by boat from Glen Cannich.

For the Mullardoch Munros I always plug the route from Glenstrathfarrar basically because it's better and doesn't involve that path everybody hates or crossing the Alt Taige. The only issue with it is you need to get a move on if you want to include An Socach due to the gated access.

I agree the Glen Affric Glen is stunning and as we did not get good views from Carn Eigh or Mam Sodhall it’s definitely one to do again. I did it up the ridge taking in Sgurr na Lapaich but there is the alternative taking in the Tops from the east side of Carn Eighe.
I had not thought about doing the Mullardoch Munros from Strathfarrar, will take a look at that option so thanks for the suggestion 👍
Arrandoug
Munro compleatist

Postby boriselbrus » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:10 pm

I used the Mullardoch ferry back in June so certainly running post lockdown. I don't know when he runs over the winter though.

I also got no response to an email so just called him. He was very helpful.
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby Gigha » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:09 am

From his web site " The service runs from January until the beginning of August, weather permitting."

I thought his main job was a stalker, so probably out on the hills at this time of year.
Gigha
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:213   Donalds:89+43
Sub 2000:60   Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:106   Islands:30

Postby Arrandoug » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:48 pm

boriselbrus wrote:I used the Mullardoch ferry back in June so certainly running post lockdown. I don't know when he runs over the winter though.

Good to know thanks I will call him next year. How much does he charge for his trip?
Cheers
Arrandoug
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:36 pm

Arrandoug wrote:
Veryhappybunny wrote:Probably easiest to ask the ferryman himself - http://www.loch-mullardoch-ferry.co.uk/contact.html

Thanks I had emailed a few days ago but had no response, I will try again!

Angus is still running his boat up the loch, I used him in July this year, he will be finished now for the rest of this year.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Fairweather Softie » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 pm

Arrandoug wrote:
boriselbrus wrote:I used the Mullardoch ferry back in June so certainly running post lockdown. I don't know when he runs over the winter though.

Good to know thanks I will call him next year. How much does he charge for his trip?
Cheers

Used him earlier this year, I'm sure ! was £40 to top of Loch, sounds expensive but I thought it was worth it as I had a long day the day before and planned another long day the next day so 40 quid to save the walk along the loch made sense to me.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby al78 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:53 pm

Fairweather Softie wrote:
Arrandoug wrote:

Cheers

Used him earlier this year, I'm sure ! was £40 to top of Loch, sounds expensive but I thought it was worth it as I had a long day the day before and planned another long day the next day so 40 quid to save the walk along the loch made sense to me.

It sounds expensive because it is expensive. It cost me half that to get the ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway and back. How bad is the walk along the lochside that it is worth spending that much to save a few miles?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Scraggygoat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:20 pm

The most efficient and classic way to do these hills and avoid the Loch side is to do the Mullardoch Round, which arguably should not be missed, summer or winter.

How bad is the Loch shore? In parts not bad, but depends heavily on whether you pick up the right deer track in long sections. Fortunately the last third back to the dam isn’t bad, unless very wet. I know of no one who said they enjoyed it and many who hated it. When you walk it spare a thought for one chap who twisted his ankle at the end of the Loch and crawled along it until he found a fence post to use as an improvised crutch for the rest of the way.

I’ve done it two or three times, once in bad rain when it was horrible. Very wet, dodgy stream crossings and my friends dog very nearly drowned.

It has to be said that a water borne approach has much to recommended it, even if it does feel out of keeping with the relative isolation of the area. Not only is it quicker but by being in a middle of the Loch you get a much better view and feel for the scale and layout of the hills. Also you get to spot the now dominantly defunct stalkers tracks on the slopes heading down towards the unseen flooded lodges. Tracks I intend to use for an esoteric outing one day.
Scraggygoat

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 pm

al78 wrote:
Fairweather Softie wrote:

It sounds expensive because it is expensive. It cost me half that to get the ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway and back. How bad is the walk along the lochside that it is worth spending that much to save a few miles?

That's like comparing a bus to a taxi, though yes £40 is quite steep but fair enough I suppose - it's take it or leave it.

I personally wouldn't bother with the boat. There are lots of ways to do these hills with out doing the whole round and without the long trudge along the loch. They can be done from various starting points and utilising a bike for some of them if you wish.

The boat would be good if you wished to do as many hills as possible for the least effort and in a short time span.

If that's not an issue have a look at routes in from Strathfarrar, Morvich and Killilan. You will see a lot more of the area and be on routes that are more remote which I quite like.

It's a great area whichever way. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby NickyRannoch » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:25 pm

[/quote]It sounds expensive because it is expensive. It cost me half that to get the ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway and back. How bad is the walk along the lochside that it is worth spending that much to save a few miles?[/quote]

Ferry fares are massively subsidised by the govt
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby al78 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:45 am

The munros around glen Affric, loch Mullardoch, loch Monar and glen Strathfarrar are attractive to me as those glens as I remember are beautiful, although I have never visited glen Strathfarrar. Doing the Mullardoch round over two or three days sounds like a good adventure but it is a demanding expedition, and I don't know how I could train for it given I live in SE England which is a long way from comparable size hills, and I would have to condition myself for it.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion