walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Your suggestions please

Your suggestions please

Postby Ferrylouper » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:39 pm

I'm wanting to do five or six days' hiking in early November, and have made a plan for the western section of the SUW, based on nothing more than a whim and the appeal of a very little frequented route. But I realised yesterday that I have pretty much not considered anything else.

If you were me :
- regular runner fit, able to carry gear for several days of bothies and camping
- navigation skills ok
- equipped for poor weather and cold, but not technical snow/ice
- accompanied by dog
- have transport

what would you be tempted to do?

*I've walked the WHW a couple of times, Glen Affric Kintail way, quite a lot of Orkney and Shetland...
Ferrylouper
Stravaiging

Re: Your suggestions please

Postby Ferrylouper » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:38 pm

Any recommendations for an early November longish-distance trip?

I am definitely looking at least for a plan B alternative to the SUW, just in case the weather forecast for that section is hysterically awful.
Ferrylouper
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:56 pm

Must admit I can't get excited about the SUW, if it was me, I would probably section hike part of the Cape Wrath Trail if the weather is okay or do a bespoke route in the Cairngorms.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby davekeiller » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:36 pm

One thing to consider is how you will get to and from the start and end points of your route.
From 30th Oct to 12th Nov COP 26 is on in Glasgow.
Scotrail are on strike so there will be no trains.
Stagecoach and First are threatening to strike so there may be limited buses.

One option for plan B would be to walk the eastern half instead!
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby ahukippax » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:26 pm

How about doing the Rob Roy Way which goes from Drymen to Pitlochry. You could always extend it a little more by starting at Milngavie and going to Blair Atholl. I did this route as part of the Scottish National Trail and there are some really nice remote sections, woodland , moorland, waterfalls and rivers.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby al78 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:38 pm

ahukippax wrote:How about doing the Rob Roy Way which goes from Drymen to Pitlochry. You could always extend it a little more by starting at Milngavie and going to Blair Atholl. I did this route as part of the Scottish National Trail and there are some really nice remote sections, woodland , moorland, waterfalls and rivers.

If you felt like going a bit further, you could carry on up the Minigaig to Kingussie, or up glen Tilt to either Braemar or over the Lairig Ghru to Aviemore.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Ferrylouper » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 am

Thanks for your suggestions.

WalkWithWallace wrote:Must admit I can't get excited about the SUW, if it was me, I would probably section hike part of the Cape Wrath Trail if the weather is okay or do a bespoke route in the Cairngorms.

I do know what you mean. I liked the idea of a coast-to coast (even if obviously I don't have the time to do it all in one go) but somehow balked at starting in the middle which would arguably be more interesting. Re. the Cairngorms and echoing akuhippax and al78, i had started looking at doing the next sections along, from Pitlochry to Kingussie. I don't know the Cairngorms at all well so that would be tempting.

davekeiller wrote:One thing to consider is how you will get to and from the start and end points of your route.
From 30th Oct to 12th Nov COP 26 is on in Glasgow.
Scotrail are on strike so there will be no trains.
Stagecoach and First are threatening to strike so there may be limited buses.

One option for plan B would be to walk the eastern half instead!

This is a bloody good point, I hadn't thought about it at all (am currently in Cameroon and not really following the COP26 developments too closely). I've got my own transport so was just going to drive to the start point and then public transport / taxi it back - having a dog with you does tend to make esp. Stagecoach buses speed up past the stop where you're waiting patiently, so the taxi was always going to be a possibility. But yeah, I need to consider absence of trains for any longer return journeys.

Maybe a circular?

Right. I'm off to look at the Rob Roy Way and the Cairngorms. Thanks for your suggestions.
Ferrylouper
Stravaiging

Postby arjh » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:43 pm

arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion