walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lost

Re: Lost

Postby Tringa » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 pm

Bastonjock wrote:I was under the impression that you stick together and do not separate .

Yes, but it is surprising easy to get separated and then make a mistake trying to put it right.

I remember reading about a one of a group on the top of the Ben.

As they moved off to come down in bad visibility he took a bit longer to get his waterproof on by which time he could no longer see the rest of the group. He ended up falling into one of the gullies and was there for more than a day until the MRT found him.
He said once he had lost sight of his group he should have shouted for them or asked someone else if he could go down with them but instead he tried to catch up with his mates and took a tumble.

Dave
Tringa

Postby jayedubya73 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Honestly, I do get a lot from reading about near misses. I want to make sure I am always learning, particularly given the number of walks I do myself. I am glad people involved in these are open about sharing their experiences, its how the rest of us learn. Just had a browse over a few stories in here:

https://www.mountaineering.scot/safety-and-skills/essential-skills/near-misses

Good reminders to be prepared and ready.
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:231   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:54 pm

If you want their own version of the story go to Breakfast and it is 2hrs 50 mins in https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0010rwf/breakfast-16102021
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:42 pm

Sgurr wrote:If you want their own version of the story go to Breakfast and it is 2hrs 50 mins in https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0010rwf/breakfast-16102021

Well done to both of them for going on the TV and talking about their mistakes and also highlighting the good work done by the mountain rescue teams.

There is no real problem with separating if both people are equipped and capable of doing so, but far better if it is a conscious decision. Sometimes it can be a plan from the start or be decided during the walk to seperate - no big deal.
Sunset tripper

Postby AJ01 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:50 am

Tringa wrote:
Bastonjock wrote:I was under the impression that you stick together and do not separate .

Yes, but it is surprising easy to get separated and then make a mistake trying to put it right.

I remember reading about a one of a group on the top of the Ben.

As they moved off to come down in bad visibility he took a bit longer to get his waterproof on by which time he could no longer see the rest of the group. He ended up falling into one of the gullies and was there for more than a day until the MRT found him.
He said once he had lost sight of his group he should have shouted for them or asked someone else if he could go down with them but instead he tried to catch up with his mates and took a tumble.

Dave

This error is something that makes me very annoyed - whoever was leading the group should have made sure that everybody was ready to set off and that the group was together before they all walked off. Making sure that 'tail-enders' stay with the group and don't drop off the back and get lost is an essential part of leading a walking group. It's a common failing, and one which I have been on the receiving end of.

(Please note that this comment is directed at the larger group scenario where it is easy to miss one person dropping out, and not at the incident which is the primary subject of this thread, where only two people were involved.)
Angus
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby brpro26 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Think he should invest in a retractable dog leash and a couple of carabiners. That should keep them together.
It's easy to lose sight of your walking buddy when the clag is coming and going. Now you see them now you don't.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby dave munn » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:04 pm

Over 40 years ago l was on a school trip to do Ben Macdui. I was relatively new to hillwalking and many of the other pupils had never been in the hills. We walked in from Lin of Dee led by one teacher and a dozen or so of us. After passing Loch Etchachan and heading up towards the plateau in the clag, l held back for the slowest member of the party. Shortly after that the two of us found ourselves lost on the plateau having somehow missed the main path. For about twenty minutes or so l tried to calculate the best way to retrace our steps to the path. I had a map, knew the compass might be unreliable and luckily due to being in the Scouts could navigate. My colleague was getting really scared, but not half as much as the party leader it would transpire. We made it back to the main path and ran back into our main group who were descending from the summit looking for us. It was a valuable lesson for us all, especially the teacher leading the group. Was in the days before you had to be qualified to take out school groups. No harm done as my colleague was not put off and will complete the Corbetts at the end of the month after finishing the Munro’s a few years ago. It was a lesson that stuck with me over the decades when our in a group in poor visibility as it was so easy to get separated.
dave munn
Mountain Walker

Postby Scottk » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:45 pm

They got separated in the clag-very easy where they were. Imagine one stopped to get something from his bag, a pee etc. All too easy for the pair to get split up. I would not like to get down from Macdui to the Lairig Ghru in the clag either. Down to Loch Etchachan and Hutchies would be my choice but very easy when you know the area. If you are in a new area, cold, anxious, hungry it would be all too easy for it all to go pear shaped. Good outcome which is a bonus
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion