walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Downloading GPX routes

Downloading GPX routes

Postby Kenny Raeside » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:35 pm

Please excused the Luddite questions about to follow….

Re the downloadable GPX routes on the forum, what hardware do I need to use them ?
I’ve got an iPad and IPhone, a Garmin Etrex30, are they suitable?

I dowloaded a file but when I opened it it is was just text, I was kinda hoping it would somehow magic into my phone in a format to be able to be used when walking without phone signal, like a track I could follow in conjunction with my online GPS maps ?
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Re: Downloading GPX routes

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 pm

Hi Kenny

As my mobile was bought 15 years ago for under a tenner in Tesco this isn't an option for me.

I download the GPX data to the Garmin software (Base Camp) then send it to my Garmin Montana 600. The GPX then appears under "Route Planner" and it's just a case of clicking on the "view map" option and then "go" and the route appears on the map along with your position.

If you try to transfer the data direct to your Garmin without going through Base Camp it probably won't appear (at least it doesn't for me).

Hope this helps.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Kenny Raeside » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:04 am

Thanks Gordie
I’ll give that a go.

I also had a look at Outdooractive, ( replacing ViewRanger) and it appears that files from this forum/website can be downloaded into it.

I got slightly lost last week in thick clag on the Beinn a Ghlo 3 , with that experience and the walker getting lost near Ben Macdui I’m going to download tracks from now on.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:37 am

I'm just back from walking A Dales High Way and the last three days at different times I was on clag bound hills that were new to me. I had paper maps, guide book notes and compass with me but the GPX gives an added level of confidence in what you are doing. I also carry a spare battery for the Garmin (just in case).

Happy walking!!!!!!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby davemorrissey » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:03 am

I use GPX Viewer Pro on Android. For £4.49 (one off) it has an offline "Walkabout" map which shows contours and nearly all paths and will open GPX files straight from the browser. All of Scotland is 500Mb. It works incredibly well and I finish most walks with well over 80% battery remaining. A waterproof pouch helps on wet days. The same app is available on iOS, though I can't say if it works as well because my iPad is too old for it.

I did try OS Maps with the £25/year subscription, but the app was buggy and immensely frustrating to use and I continued using GPX Viewer instead.
davemorrissey

Munros:82   Corbetts:12
Fionas:11   Donalds:37+18
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:24
Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:09 am

Maybe of use ? easy gps
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:17 am

With Android, you download the file then go into Viewranger and import the gpx file. Outdoor Active will be similar.

I used to use Easy GPS to transfer gpx routes from Desktop to my old Garmin Extrex 10.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Kenny Raeside » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:19 pm

Much obliged for all of the help and recommendations, thanks.

I’ve now installed GPX viewer on my IPhone and can download routes from this forum / website into it and view them.
I can also now download and install routes into Outdooractive and view them, not sure if I’ll also take the Pro version of Outdooractive, I’ll decide on my next outing of the Glen Lyon 4 loop next week. If anyone can advise if the Pro version is worth it that may sway me, I don’t like subscription things though.
I can keep my Garmin etrex30 as a backup should my phone go down for whatever reason, and finally get the map and compass out if technology fails me 😲
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Postby Kendrum » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:06 pm

I open the relevant Walk Highlands walk page on my android phone, download the gpx track to my android phone and then choose "open with" and select Garmin Connect. In Garmin Connect, once I've renamed the file to name of walk I save it and "send to device".
It then appears on my Garmin device.
Kendrum

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion