walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Loch Lomond and The Trossachs Permit Camping Areas

Loch Lomond and The Trossachs Permit Camping Areas

Postby ahukippax » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 pm

I recently walked the Scottish National Trail and on one of my nights stayed at a camping permit area by Loch Venacher. I was aware that byelaws had come into force to try and stop unregulated camping trashing some of the roadside areas. Booking a spot was easy, even though my phone signal was a little intermittent, and finding the relevant area was straightforward.

The setting was beautiful down by the loch and I managed to find a small area to pitch my tent. The three other available pitches were taken up by car campers in very large tents. The group 50 yards from me were noisy and drinking until about 1:00am. However, this was not my reason for leaving next morning with a sense of dissatisfaction.

Having walked, climbed and camped in the hills of the UK for 40 years, I have always had a deep sense of responsibility to try and preserve our beautiful environment and minimise my impact as much as possible. I think the 'leave no trace' message that has been promoted recently is fantastic and I know that the vast majority of people do so. It was disappointing at Loch Venacher to see litter, particularly toilet roll and also many fire-pits along the shoreline. At first my dissatisfaction was with the National Park Authority, but actually when you read all their literature and signage they are trying to promote that 'leave no trace' message. Then I wondered if more resources were needed. Perhaps for each assigned pitch, a litter bin and fire-pit. Then for each area a pit toilet or composting toilet.

I understand that ultimately it is down to individuals to act in a responsible way. The National Park do have a difficult job, in promoting the outdoors for all its health benefits whilst trying to minimise visitor impact. Perhaps better education is the only way.

I wondered what other experiences people had of visiting these permit areas and whether mine was a one off or common to other places.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Re: Loch Lomond and The Trossachs Permit Camping Areas

Postby Bastonjock » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:16 pm

It's been a long time since I walked the shore at loch venacher , maybe 20 years ago , I was disgusted then by the litter and remember thinking that there was a lack of dustbin ,sounds like it has not improved a lot
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Re: Loch Lomond and The Trossachs Permit Camping Areas

Postby Moriarty » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:48 pm

ahukippax wrote:...........At first my dissatisfaction was with the National Park Authority, but actually when you read all their literature and signage they are trying to promote that 'leave no trace' message. Then I wondered if more resources were needed. Perhaps for each assigned pitch, a litter bin and fire-pit. Then for each area a pit toilet or composting toilet.

I understand that ultimately it is down to individuals to act in a responsible way. The National Park do have a difficult job, in promoting the outdoors for all its health benefits whilst trying to minimise visitor impact. Perhaps better education is the only way.

I wondered what other experiences people had of visiting these permit areas and whether mine was a one off or common to other places.

UK societal norm for a lot of people is to expect that someone else will clean up after you. If you're feeling particularly magnanimous you might collect all your stoor into a shopping bag to make it easy for the Council Workers to pick up.

A few decades of carrot and stick/education and enforcement needed to make an impact, although educating kids that their parents are a bit manky will be a big ask. :shh:

Personally I'd just never, ever camp at/near roadside anywhere within about 50 miles of any Scottish city...unless you like bog roll, jobbies and used reproductive prophylactics. :wink:
Moriarty

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion