walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

WHW wildcamping Milngavie

WHW wildcamping Milngavie

Postby SandraRavi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Hi all.

I am planning the West Highland Way and as I will be arriving in Milngavie late in the afternoon, I am planning on starting the trail next day.

Is there any posibility to pitch up your tent between Milngavie and Craigallian loch or isn't wildcamping allowed on that part of the trail?

Thanks for your help.
SandraRavi
Backpacker

Re: WHW wildcamping Milngavie

Postby ahukippax » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:33 am

I recently walked this section while walking the Scottish National Trail and I personally wouldn't choose to wild camp in this area. It is possible, if done stealthily, ie pitch late at night and get up very early next morning, but there are issues around water supply, toileting and the fact it seems well used by local people, tourists and fellow trail users. There is a campsite about 5 miles along the trail at Blanefield, but it looks a bit expensive. When I did this section I passed through Milngavie about 12:00 and got to a nice campsite at Drymen by about 4.00pm. From recall, there did seem to be other overnight options along the way.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby Fairweather Softie » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:32 am

SandraRavi wrote:Hi all.

I am planning the West Highland Way and as I will be arriving in Milngavie late in the afternoon, I am planning on starting the trail next day.

Is there any posibility to pitch up your tent between Milngavie and Craigallian loch or isn't wildcamping allowed on that part of the trail?

Thanks for your help.

If your expectations are not too high for a pitch then I'm sure you will be able to find a area off the path.
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby BigTed » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:25 pm

I live in Milngavie. The area very close to Milngavie is busy with dog walkers until close to dusk. There are spots to pitch a tent though. Pitching late you would be OK. The two yellow dots on this map are good possibilities. The one away from the river is a quieter spot.

In fsct if you are worried about passers by seeing your tent it would be easy to find a pitch 100 yards off the path northeast of that spot and be well hidden.

I wouldn't drink out the Allander as there are numerous houses and farms upstream of that point. Just carry water with you.

camp.jpg
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Bastonjock » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:41 pm

I know milngavie reasonably well and is go with the yellow dot close to mugdock woods ,I tried to do the WHW when it first opened but I got as far as the pub :lol:

I'm planning a new attempt in April and part of that plan would involve me arriving in milngavie very late and I Had earmarked mugdock woods for a wildcamp
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Postby davekeiller » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:33 am

Wildcamping's technically legal in that area, but I wouldn't want to.
It's so close to the largest city in Scotland that it is in no way "wild", and I wouldn't drink the water because it will be contaminated.
Better would be to continue on to the campsite at Blanefield or stay the night in a budget hotel in Milngavie/Glasgow.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Girl Outdoors » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:17 pm

If you go a bit futher beyond Craigallian loch there's plenty of woodland to camp in. I've also seen people camping by the loch. Personally I'd prefer somewhere more remote but its perfectly do-able.
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:04 am

Just a wee note but the camping restrictions along Loch Lomond is March through September, so in October you don't have to worry about any of the restrictions on the trail.

https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/campingbyelaws/
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion