walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mera Peak

Mera Peak

Postby Gamebird » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:54 am

I'm not entirely sure if this is allowed in a Scottish forum, but I'm short of other options, and thought there might be some expertise here, so crossing my fingers that I might get away with it.

Has anyone climbed Mera Peak? I'm looking at it as a quieter alternative to the EBC trek, but slightly worried that it might be too serious for an amateur/casual trekker.

For reference I have spent a reasonable amount of time in the Lakes and Scottish hills (walking and running - I do the odd fell race and ultra), and done some reasonable trekking abroad.

I'd be delighted if anyone could share their experiences please (including of EBC if people have done that). Many thanks!
Gamebird
Stravaiging

Re: Mera Peak

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:19 am

Mera Peak is something I've considered myself, I reckon a good experience of Scottish mountains in winter should put you in good stead. I found this trip report really useful (Sorry it's not on here):

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16452
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Wingman » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi I climbed Mera peak some years ago, it is not a technical ascent, a reasonable fit person should manage the ascent.
Just ensure that you are suitably acclimated as that is the biggest unknown, everyone copes differently. Go with a reputable company.
Wingman
Stravaiging

Munros:196   

Postby malrobb » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:46 pm

I haven't done it but was due to go in Oct 2020 and Oct 2021 but both cancelled, the last one frustratingly just before Nepal opened up again. I booked with Jagged Globe and that was on the strength of a Winter Skills weekend in Glencoe. It was great hearing other people's plans and dreams and it was something that hadn't really crossed my mind until I was exposed to it.
It is a cold peak and is relatively high and that does add to the kit list costs but you might have a lot of the stuff already, but for example, JG recommend double boots which can be quite expensive and sleeping bags with min fill weights etc.

You sound very fit so I don't think that would be a problem for you but I guess the great unknown is altitude, which seems to have little bearing on your fitness but this can not do anything but help. JG give out a training plan which you can follow but the more mountain days you can have the better as although the distances and height gains aren't huge every day, there is a cumulative effect that people don't really get exposed to until they do it.

I have rolled my booking over to March/April and really hope it goes. You should give them a phone; they are really helpful with their advice and guidance.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:44 pm

Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:48 pm

One of the things already mentioned is the great unknown altitude, nobody really knows how it will effect them.
I myself suffer badly from altitude as my wife has no reaction.
My brother flew into Lukla and it is after this when you start to climb higher that you really start to feel altitude.
3 days later he was being helicoptered out with altitude sickness to a hospital and spent 4/5 days recovering in Katmandu.
Everyone has a different reaction to altitude.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby malrobb » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:21 am

A few of the outfits that do Mera Peak go straight from Lukla over the Zatra La Pass which is quite aggressive in acclimatisation terms so I would be wary of companies that go that way.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby Veryhappybunny » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Have heard that it is a tedious snow plod, but hard work due to its height.

Have heard great things about Island Peak - a friend went there with KE and said the views were stunning.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby Gamebird » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:34 pm

Thank you very much for all the replies.

To respond to a few questions/points:

We would be coming back over the Zatra La Pass, rather than leaving Lukla by it, so that wouldn't be a worry, but thanks for the warning!

The extra kit (double boots and extra cold sleeping bag) would be rented when out there, so less expense and luggage issues than buying and transporting our own - especially with the baggage restrictions flying into Lukla.

Mountain fitness is an issue, as although I have a lot of general fitness, and reasonable experience, I live in a very flat area. It's not insurmountable though, and if I go I will make it a priority.

I have some, but not a lot of, winter mountain experience, however the company provide a winter skills weekend in the UK before departure as part of the price, and further training once out there, so that would hopefully be sufficient.

HACE/HAPE is my major concern, but I realise that there is not a lot I can do to determine whether I am likely to be susceptible or not - other than the obvious re drinking plenty and slow acclimatisation, so I think you just have to accept that it might happen and cut your trip short.

Thanks for the trip reports too - very helpful.
Gamebird
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion