walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn Mhanach

Beinn Mhanach

Postby Gingerbrews » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:39 pm

Wondering if the lead in to Mhanach is doable on a mountain bike?
Gingerbrews
Mountaineer

Munros:31   Corbetts:3
Islands:21

Re: Beinn Mhanach

Postby LobeyD » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:54 pm

The track along the loch is fine. There is then a section of sketchy, boggy 'path' where, with the recent rains, you will be pushing (or wading :D) . And then a section of decent access track from the hydro about a mile from the bothy. Worth biking but would consider dumping it at the end of the loch track for all the value it would be beyond that.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby prog99 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:09 pm

Fine from the a82 approach. Couple of potentially tricky burn crossings instead.
Also to save parking hassles it’s easier to start at a big clearing just to the south rather than risk the verge.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Gingerbrews » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks. Will give it serious consideration now
Gingerbrews
Mountaineer

Munros:31   Corbetts:3
Islands:21

Postby 1Magnus » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 pm

I did Beinn Mhanach with a mountain bike, from the A82, in fairly warm weather. I think there were seven fords to cross, and I did get wet feet. For the cycle part, I was wearing old trainers; I then put on my walking boots just for the hill.

Not sure what this expedition would feel like in cold weather...
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Postby Sspaterson » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Yes from the Glen Lyon side very doable. Just one steep bit at start then when you get to the big Ford leave your bike this side of it. You start climbing after only 100 yards so it’s not worth the effort of trying to get it across the stepping stones
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Postby LobeyD » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:55 pm

LobeyD wrote:The track along the loch is fine. There is then a section of sketchy, boggy 'path' where, with the recent rains, you will be pushing (or wading :D) . And then a section of decent access track from the hydro about a mile from the bothy. Worth biking but would consider dumping it at the end of the loch track for all the value it would be beyond that.

Oops, got my Mhanach's and Mholach's mixed up :oops:.

Mhanach also fine from Auch side but with river crossings as mentioned. I camped at the bealach to the south of Mhanach and mountain bikers with bikepacking gear passed me from the east so likely reasonably cycleable from that side.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion